• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IndyOfComo

Merge tools

7 posts in this topic

What would folks suggest for a merge tool?

Our project is in C#(XNA). We're using Mercurial and interfacing with it via TortoiseHG. Occasionally I have a lot of work to do helping the merge tool make decisions, and even then sometimes I get it wrong. I know I have two tools at my disposal, though so far I have only used Kdiff3 (just trying to reduce time spent learning different interfaces).  Sometimes kdiff3 can't tell that my partner and I added things to the same spot and that we need both. (I haven't been able to find a "keep both" command during the merge process.)

Or maybe I'm just Doing It Wrong. But I'd like to hear thoughts on merge tools.

I find git with TortoiseGit( I'd assume TortoiseHG operates the same ) to be one of the easiest to use. I don't even utilize the interface and simply right click directories for all my merging needs. Really haven't had much trouble with conflicts either.

I agree with frob, Araxis is by the far the best. And also the most expensive. sad.png

For a cheaper option, I would go with BeyondCompare.

In kdiff3 you have 3 buttons: A, B, C. A is the original and B and C is the two changed version. When you steps on the conflict with the arrow buttons, just press both B and C buttons. It will put both changed codes there. You can even press A, and all the three codes will be inserted. The order of the inserted texts is based on the order you pressed the buttons. But you can even edit the result in the lower merge window.

I'm pretty sure the perforce merge tool is free to download on its own - P4merge. I have never had any problems with this and for c# files should be more than adequate. That's what I would go for if you want a free solution.

I'm pretty sure the perforce merge tool is free to download on its own - P4merge. I have never had any problems with this and for c# files should be more than adequate. That's what I would go for if you want a free solution.

Another vote for P4Merge from me. Though I've only ever used one other merge tool, this has the advantage of being free (within requirements). :)

You can view the original file(base), and branched versions(yours and your partners changes) for resolving conflicts - and specify which change should be used(or both), and also, if necessary, modify the result by hand in the merge window below.

(It also works for images too, and can highlight the differences.)

WinMerge is free, can be configured to work with Tortoise as default diff/merge tool. I've been using it for more than 5 years now, it never let me down. It also has folder compare like other paid software do.