Merge tools

Started by
6 comments, last by meeshoo 10 years, 7 months ago

What would folks suggest for a merge tool?

Our project is in C#(XNA). We're using Mercurial and interfacing with it via TortoiseHG. Occasionally I have a lot of work to do helping the merge tool make decisions, and even then sometimes I get it wrong. I know I have two tools at my disposal, though so far I have only used Kdiff3 (just trying to reduce time spent learning different interfaces). Sometimes kdiff3 can't tell that my partner and I added things to the same spot and that we need both. (I haven't been able to find a "keep both" command during the merge process.)

Or maybe I'm just Doing It Wrong. But I'd like to hear thoughts on merge tools.

Here is my technical background info.
Advertisement

I find git with TortoiseGit( I'd assume TortoiseHG operates the same ) to be one of the easiest to use. I don't even utilize the interface and simply right click directories for all my merging needs. Really haven't had much trouble with conflicts either.

While many systems come with merge tools of varying quality, my favorite is Araxis Merge.

It is a paid product but very much worth the money.

Also the diff of images and office documents are very nice, especially when working with game art.

I agree with frob, Araxis is by the far the best. And also the most expensive. sad.png

For a cheaper option, I would go with BeyondCompare.

In kdiff3 you have 3 buttons: A, B, C. A is the original and B and C is the two changed version. When you steps on the conflict with the arrow buttons, just press both B and C buttons. It will put both changed codes there. You can even press A, and all the three codes will be inserted. The order of the inserted texts is based on the order you pressed the buttons. But you can even edit the result in the lower merge window.

I'm pretty sure the perforce merge tool is free to download on its own - P4merge. I have never had any problems with this and for c# files should be more than adequate. That's what I would go for if you want a free solution.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

I'm pretty sure the perforce merge tool is free to download on its own - P4merge. I have never had any problems with this and for c# files should be more than adequate. That's what I would go for if you want a free solution.

Another vote for P4Merge from me. Though I've only ever used one other merge tool, this has the advantage of being free (within requirements). :)

You can view the original file(base), and branched versions(yours and your partners changes) for resolving conflicts - and specify which change should be used(or both), and also, if necessary, modify the result by hand in the merge window below.

(It also works for images too, and can highlight the differences.)

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

WinMerge is free, can be configured to work with Tortoise as default diff/merge tool. I've been using it for more than 5 years now, it never let me down. It also has folder compare like other paid software do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement