• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AgentC

Automatically grouping objects for culling, drawcall generation etc.?

This topic is 2140 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Some background: right now, my engine uses a loose octree for culling. Naturally, whole octree subhierarchies can be rejected if outside the view frustum, but the objects that are found to be visible, are treated as individual entities almost to the end of the CPU part of the rendering pipeline. Only when drawcalls are finally formed of the visible scene, then drawcalls using the same material, same vertex buffer, the same lights influencing them etc. are combined into instancing groups, which basically list the GPU state to use + transform matrices for all instances.

Using this system, hardware instancing happens automatically when possible, so the user of the engine doesn't have to care about it at all. However, when dealing with high object counts, it is somewhat wasteful to treat the objects as individuals so far up the pipeline, and "re-detect" each frame that these objects indeed belong to the same instancing group.

I was wondering, is someone here using some kind of dynamic grouping system to form groups of objects automatically at runtime, for example let's say there's 5 tree objects next to each other (with same material, VB..) their bounding boxes would be combined into a group bounding box, and they would be treated as a group from there onwards, until something changes which invalidates the group (for example one of them changes LOD, or a dynamic light starts shining on one of them.)

What I'm afraid is that the management overhead for the groups (namely, having to check that they remain valid once they're formed) would consume more CPU than just bruteforcing the objects as individuals right to the end of the pipeline.

Any ideas or hints?

Advertisement

I was wondering, is someone here using some kind of dynamic grouping system to form groups of objects automatically at runtime

you mean something like a 100x100 meter area of terrain with 100 ground quads of different textures, and up to 5000 tree, rock and plant meshes? on they fly?

that would be a yes.

Yes, not for the terrain that much, as usually one terrain "patch" is rather large, meaning there are not many of them to cull individually, but exactly something like tree / rock meshes. Note however that I'm not talking about dynamically instantiating environment objects near the player on demand, but ideally about a large static world database.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!