• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Is source-to-game (JIT) common?

This topic is 1591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've created modifications to Xbox 360 games before. But, one thing I found interesting was the games at their very heart were just source code with resources. Why? Is common for mobile or console developers? Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform? Seems useless to me. But there still has got to be a reason. Thanks in advanced!

Advertisement

I'm struggling to see the question....

I've created modifications to Xbox 360 games before. But, one thing I found interesting was the games at their very heart were just source code with resources. Why? Is common for mobile or console developers? Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform? Seems useless to me. But there still has got to be a reason. Thanks in advanced! 

Yes, games are made up of a program, and work on resources like models, animations, audio, and effects.

If you look at the theory of computing, program + resources is the absolute definition of what computing is.   

Can you clarify your question?  The way I read that, it seems like you are asking "Matter is made up of things like atoms, why? There has got to be a reason."

Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform?
You're not allowed to JIT compile code on X360, so if you see a 360 game using a language like Lua, then it's doing one worse -- it's interpreting semi-compiled (byte-code) with a VM.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement