Is source-to-game (JIT) common?

Started by
2 comments, last by Hodgman 10 years, 7 months ago
I've created modifications to Xbox 360 games before. But, one thing I found interesting was the games at their very heart were just source code with resources. Why? Is common for mobile or console developers? Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform? Seems useless to me. But there still has got to be a reason. Thanks in advanced!
Advertisement

I'm struggling to see the question....

I've created modifications to Xbox 360 games before. But, one thing I found interesting was the games at their very heart were just source code with resources. Why? Is common for mobile or console developers? Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform? Seems useless to me. But there still has got to be a reason. Thanks in advanced!

Yes, games are made up of a program, and work on resources like models, animations, audio, and effects.

If you look at the theory of computing, program + resources is the absolute definition of what computing is.

Can you clarify your question? The way I read that, it seems like you are asking "Matter is made up of things like atoms, why? There has got to be a reason."

Were you familiar with the language of the code you saw? Are you sure it wasn't just a scripting language used for only parts of the game?

Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform?
You're not allowed to JIT compile code on X360, so if you see a 360 game using a language like Lua, then it's doing one worse -- it's interpreting semi-compiled (byte-code) with a VM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement