IDE for C++ Programming

Started by
39 comments, last by mmakrzem 10 years, 7 months ago

Good day fellas, I want a little enlightenment here, what IDE you guys suggest for C++ programming ? I'm currently using netbeans 7.3, the compiling process is pretty slow. thanks before :)

Advertisement

I use Code::Blocks. Hasn't done me any wrong so far.

Visual Studio.. look no further.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

I use Code::Blocks. Hasn't done me any wrong so far.

is it light enough? because netbeans is pretty slow, I only use 1 gb of memory on my laptop

I meant the free one :p

I meant the free one tongue.png

its free

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

Well CB doesn't offer the features that visual studio does, but it's a bit more flexible. You can use any compiler you want, the VC++ compiler if you want, while visual studio is stuck to it's only one.

If your all windows then VC++ should do you fine, but if you like portability and moving around, CB and other IDE's might be better since they're not coupled with Windows. I also don't like how VC++ has to have its own libraries ( "Visual C++ Redistributable Package" )

Visual Studio 2012 Express. Best free IDE you can find on Windows.

You can run custom build steps from MSbuild which allow you to compile with any compiler you want. X360 and PS3 for example don't build with the visual studio compiler yet you can still launch a compile from Visual Studio.

If your all windows then VC++ should do you fine, but if you like portability and moving around, CB and other IDE's might be better since they're not coupled with Windows. I also don't like how VC++ has to have its own libraries ( "Visual C++ Redistributable Package" )

GCC has these package as well by the way, any C++ compile has some runtime package that needs to run to deal with OS interactions and memory allocations btw.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Compilation speed is mostly a matter of the compiler, not of the IDE. If you're asking for speed, changing from Netbeans with GCC to code::blocks with GCC will not make much difference.

Benchmarks seem to show that Visual C++ is faster than GCC:

http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark2.shtml?p1

http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/comparing-cc-compilers/184405450

However, C++ 11 support is still very incomplete in the compiler that comes with Visual Studio 2012.

Maybe you can improve compile times using precompiled headers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement