IDE for C++ Programming

Started by
39 comments, last by mmakrzem 10 years, 7 months ago

Of all the IDE's I've used, Visual studio is by far the best.

visualnovelty.com - Novelty - Visual novel maker
Advertisement

wow, thank you guys for such a amazing respons, I don't have any of this in any forum I have joined before.. I'll look forward for suggestions you have posted, thank you

Well CB doesn't offer the features that visual studio does, but it's a bit more flexible. You can use any compiler you want, the VC++ compiler if you want, while visual studio is stuck to it's only one.

If your all windows then VC++ should do you fine, but if you like portability and moving around, CB and other IDE's might be better since they're not coupled with Windows. I also don't like how VC++ has to have its own libraries ( "Visual C++ Redistributable Package" )

I'll try that one :)

I find Java* based IDEs like Netbeans far too slow and heavy for some reason. Eclipse is marginally better because it has a larger amount of native code. Visual Studio is faster still because that is pretty much all native (has very little .NET code in there).

However, slow compile times are likely due to the compiler rather than IDE. Visual Studio uses cl whereas netbeans uses g++ (Mingw port which is not entirely native to the OS). I find cl to be a little bit faster in compile times on Windows so Visual Studio might be the better choice again.

Then again, nvi and Makefiles is all I use these days anyway.

* I dont know if it is the fault of Java or if Netbeans is just too overly modular. It seemed to be just as slow when compiled with gcj (native java compiler). It gives me motion sickness just using it for a few mins ;)

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Of all the IDE's I've used, Visual studio is by far the best

Compilation speed is mostly a matter of the compiler, not of the IDE. If you're asking for speed, changing from Netbeans with GCC to code::blocks with GCC will not make much difference.

Benchmarks seem to show that Visual C++ is faster than GCC:

http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark2.shtml?p1

http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/comparing-cc-compilers/184405450

However, C++ 11 support is still very incomplete in the compiler that comes with Visual Studio 2012.

Maybe you can improve compile times using precompiled headers.

I have one gigabyte of memory using win 7 x64 and core i3-380M, my laptop is oftenly freeze for a couple second when I type a bunch of code also in compilation. I'm sorry for these stupid question, what does precompiled header ?

Visual Studio would be my suggestion as well, but if you're looking for alternatives you might also look into Qt Creator -- note that although it's designed for use with Qt, you can just use it as a general C++ development environment.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Well CB doesn't offer the features that visual studio does, but it's a bit more flexible. You can use any compiler you want, the VC++ compiler if you want, while visual studio is stuck to it's only one.

If your all windows then VC++ should do you fine, but if you like portability and moving around, CB and other IDE's might be better since they're not coupled with Windows. I also don't like how VC++ has to have its own libraries ( "Visual C++ Redistributable Package" )

I have to try both of them,

Visual Studio would be my suggestion as well, but if you're looking for alternatives you might also look into Qt Creator -- note that although it's designed for use with Qt, you can just use it as a general C++ development environment.

very well sir, I've never try Qt Creator before

I find Java* based IDEs like Netbeans far too slow and heavy for some reason. Eclipse is marginally better because it has a larger amount of native code. Visual Studio is faster still because that is pretty much all native (has very little .NET code in there).

However, slow compile times are likely due to the compiler rather than IDE. Visual Studio uses cl whereas netbeans uses g++ (Mingw port which is not entirely native to the OS). I find cl to be a little bit faster in compile times on Windows so Visual Studio might be the better choice again.

* I dont know if it is the fault of Java or if Netbeans is just too overly modular. It seemed to be just as slow when compiled with gcj (native java compiler). It gives me motion sickness just using it for a few mins ;)

indeed, it's oftenly frustrating me, I have tried Dev-C++ once. but since I have a little knowledge in compiler (because my objectives is basic of programming it self) Dev-C++ drives me crazy

to be honest.. I doubt that with 1gb of ram running win7 64 you'll be able to see improvements.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement