Sign in to follow this  
jamiesalisbury

Advice for pro composer moving into games

Alex ??? Jones    116

Hey! 

I was also at Game Music Connect...so on the subject of you not playing games for 10 years I heard on multiple occasions their advice was to play games! They all knew each others work and had played games and had to answer questions on what their favourite games were! 

But the question is why do you want to write music for video games if you don't play/like them? :)

jamiesalisbury    124
Hi Alex, I explained earlier in the thread - I love playing games, I've just avoided them for 10 years because if anything I enjoyed them too much and played for too long. Needed to concentrate on composing at the time, didnt occur to me I could combine the two :-)

jamiesalisbury    124

Hi all, resurrecting this old thread with some more questions and some news! I'm almost certainly going to attend GDC in March. If anyone can answer any of the following questions I'd be grateful:

1. How many days should I allow to be there to take best advantage? I can't imagine wandering around an exhibition for more than 2 days at the most to be honest.

2. Will standard EXPO pass tickets be sufficient for my needs, i.e networking? I'm sure the audio lectures are great, but it's a lot extra and finances are currently tight.

3. Are there any events that I should be aware of while choosing my dates? 
4. Any recommended hotels? Again - budget is reasonably tight.

News is I've just completed a soundtrack for a tablet game for a big name developer. I'm hoping it will be out by GDC time. So that'll be a good conversation starter at least!

Edited by jamiesalisbury

Tom Sloper    16040

1. How many days should I allow to be there to take best advantage? I can't imagine wandering around an exhibition for more than 2 days at the most to be honest.
2. Will standard EXPO pass tickets be sufficient for my needs, i.e networking?
5. News is I've just completed a soundtrack for a tablet game for a big name developer. I'm hoping it will be out by GDC time. So that'll be a good conversation starter at least!

1. Be there Wednesday and Thursday. Those are the two best days.
2. Should be.
5. Don't start conversations with that. Mostly what you need to do is exchange business cards and be a good listener. Read FAQ 54. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm

jamiesalisbury    124

Quite right, "conversation starter" was the wrong phrase! I've read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" so I should know better ;-)

FAQ 54 is excellent thanks. No chest hair or neck ties!

Edited by jamiesalisbury