• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tispe

Reverse engineering games, CreateFile(xxxx,.....)

This topic is 2134 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello

I want to figure out how a game determines a filename that it passes to CreateFile().

There is a Model Viewer I am working on for a game, and I wish to be able to load different files based on what the user want to see. In order to do this I need to figure out how the game stores IDs for these files. I have already cracked the index table, so I only need to supply a DWORD in order to get the full path and filename. However I can't find these DWORDs anywhere in the game files.

Is there a tool that I can use, for example CheatEngine, that lets me monitor variables such as the LPCTSTR lpFileName and trace it back to how the application built that string?

The game uses an ID to lookup the index table that produces a lpFileName, I need to figure out where that ID was read or computed from. So I was wondering if there are tools that let pick/scan a variable in memory and trace back how that was made in memory.

Advertisement

Well, I already have the models. It is not that hard to extract. I am not going to redistribute any work created by others. All I want is the method used to find data.

I can browse the memory area of the process, but I can't figure out what part of the code executes before doing a CreateFile.

This topic is 2134 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.