• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
noatom

What to use for an UI?

This topic is 2131 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to create an editor for a game engine but I don't know what to use for the ui.

I don't want win32(it's too low level).What I want is something that doesn't take too much to learn(no,not you QT),and can be used with C++.

Advertisement

You at least have to try to make your own advice.

I personnally found it pretty easy to use because of the great documentation and all the examples available.

Sure Qt is a huge library but you don't need to learn it entirely to get started. Learn the basic concepts (follow beginners tutorials) then learn to use some specific widgets when you need to use them.

Win32 WinForms and GDI isn't that hard to use, once you get the boilerplate stuff worked out. Your IDE may even be able to do that for you - or even include a form designer.

Go with Qt. It's very easy to learn and very well documented. Plus, it seems to get more and more features every release.

Qt is big, yes, but that's because it's more than a widget toolkit; it's a complete framework. It is however modular and I believe you can link to what you need only. If you with it you're also learning something which may be useful in the future if you develop for mobile devices, and you're making your editor more easily portable to other platforms.

Do you want something windows specific or cross platform?

If you want windows only, I'd go C# and winforms.

Cross platform, qt is probably your best bet.

i've found that in-game editors tend to be more useful than stand alone editors, so  now i design all editors as modules that can be linked into any game and use the generic game graphics library for drawing UI components. 

in your case the equivalent would be to make the editor built into the engine and use the engine's graphics for drawing UI components.

examples:

gallery_197293_681_39669.jpg

gallery_197293_681_24387.jpg

Somebody told me I should export my GUI as standalone, maybe it makes a bit sense.

Besides meta system (C++ reflection), it's already kind of standalone system.

But note for now it's only 2D, haven't implemented rendering in 3D space yet.

Give a look on some of http://www.youtube.com/CoffeeTheengine

the editor and tools are using it, exclusively (OpenGL, but in abstracted renderer classes).

Depends of what you are looking, Qt works plainly on OpenGL as well in latest versions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!