• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Majora

Best Books For Beginning C#?

This topic is 2137 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been looking to begin learning C# for use with Unity. I want to use Unity because I want to develop cross platform (namely PC and iOS) and don't want to try and learn two programming languages at once. 

I've done very little application programming before, so assuming I'm an absolute beginner to programming, what would be the best books to begin learning C#? 

Thanks everyone! 

Advertisement

Have you looked into UnityScript? It might be easier to use for an absolute beginner.

As for books, I suggest you follow some tutorials while going through a book as that might help. For example, if you want to create a Tower Defense game there are quite few tutorials that show you how to code a TD from scratch in Unity. This will help you understand how things kinda work and should help you understand what you are reading in the book. Either way I strongly believe the best way to learn is through trial and error. Best of luck

For the record, you can use UnityScript to build for PC and iOS. Also learning UnityScript is not a waste in the sense of, you won't be able to transfer your skills if you decide to change ships. UnityScript is very similar in syntax to Javascript, which in turn is quite similar to Lua as well.

Edited by fatzilla

Have you looked into UnityScript? It might be easier to use for an absolute beginner.

As for books, I suggest you follow some tutorials while going through a book as that might help. For example, if you want to create a Tower Defense game there are quite few tutorials that show you how to code a TD from scratch in Unity. This will help you understand how things kinda work and should help you understand what you are reading in the book. Either way I strongly believe the best way to learn is through trial and error. Best of luck

For the record, you can use UnityScript to build for PC and iOS. Also learning UnityScript is not a waste in the sense of, you won't be able to transfer your skills if you decide to change ships. UnityScript is very similar in syntax to Javascript, which in turn is quite similar to Lua as well.

I've considered UnityScript but I decided that I'd rather learn C# because it's more extensive and I could also use it outside of Unity, although I do think it's a good idea to read the tutorials while going through a book. In the future I'll hopefully end up learning C++, so learning C# would be highly beneficial to achieve that goal. 

Thanks, I'll definitely consider buying it! 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!