• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aspirer

Your opinion on C# graphical libraries

This topic is 2132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Picking up C# pretty quickly.  A lot was refresher, and am ready to start dabbling with graphical libraries.  This will be pretty much new territory.

So, to you C# programmers, what are your opinions on the best options for learning graphical programming.  Note, Im not asking for the best, most powerful, all inclusive library, but more so one that encompasses the basics of 2d and 3d programming, and will give me knowledge I can take with me to other, more powerful libraries. 

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

You can get C# bindings for just about every popular library.

For example, have a look at OpenTK for OpenGL bindings; you can certainly learn the basics with that, and since half the industry is running on OpenGL, it is something you can take with you.

Most 2D games are still made with a 3D API like OpenGL, but if you want a 2D API for the easier learning-curve, have a look at the bindings for SDL or SFML.

I am not familiar with alternatives (although I hear monogame is good), but xna is a good place to learn 2d / 3d programming or at least a quick way to get set up.

I would second this for someone wanting to ease into learning 2d/3d.  Contrary to what you will probably hear, XNA is not "dead" - while it is not being updated anymore, it works just fine and there is an enormous amount of tutorials and other resources available.  Furthermore, it nicely primes you for moving on to lower level APIs.  Also - it's easy to get something working quickly, and therefore easy to stay motivated.

Honestly there's very little reason to use XNA these days over something like the SharpDX Toolkit or Monogame.  Both are very XNA-like but have the advantage of active development.  The latter supports higher versions of DirectX, and more easily falls back to sort-of-native DirectX if you want to try it out.

SharpDX and OpenTK are the major respective DirectX/OpenGL bindings in C# these days, and I know there's at least a binding for SFML (and most likely SDL).  The latter two are basically 2D (though they provide hooks into DX/OGL as well) frameworks for various game development functions.  All three of these are fantastic tools, depending on what you want to do, though I'm unsure of how good SDL bindings in C# are.

Edited by SeraphLance

I honestly think GDI+ is a good place to start with C#. XNA is very good too. Don't be scared off by the fact that its not updated anymore! It is very well documented, and still has good community support. I have issues with MonoGame. It still needs time to mature. If you learn XNA, that knowledge will be very easily transferable to MonoGame later.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!