HexaPong (Prototype)

Started by
1 comment, last by fuerchter 10 years, 7 months ago

HexaPong is a breakout game with the twist (no pun intended), that the player rotates a Hexagon in the middle of the screen in order to break the blocks. Besides that said blocks can cause the Hexagon edges to be deactivated (if the Ball hits a deactivated edge you lose).
The game is still very much a prototype and there are some issues with the collision detection left but I feel that the main gameplay element is present in the current state.

I have made a short gameplay video of the game.

Our DevBlog is here.

Download link
Feel free to leave any suggestions/feedback!

Advertisement

It seems a little slow-paced for an arcade action game. I think a slight ball speedup might help that a little bit, but even better would be to simulate more realistic motion with acceleration/deceleration and varying ball velocities.

The ball behaves oddly on bouncing as well. You would expect it to bounce correctly off the sides of the hexagon, but instead it always bounces directly back to the center. Have you thought about allowing the ball to bounce more realistically? If you are worried about the ball not returning to the center often enough, you could set up a circular attraction field by applying an acceleration toward the center. This way, the ball would be drawn gradually back to the center, while still allowing it to bounce around. By adding acceleration into the mix, too, you can get varying ball speeds rather than the easily-predictable and somewhat-boring constant ball speed you have now.

Thanks for the feedback :D

others have mentioned to me that the ball may be a little bit too slow as well, I will probably try tweaking that a little bit.

Currently the ball only bounces back to the center of the screen when it hits the very outer edge of the level, the regular blocks are supposed to have realistic (still a little bit buggy) collision.

The idea of varying the speed of the ball is actually kind of interesting, I like that suggestion ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement