• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Juliean

DX11 Hardware cursor

This topic is 2136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I've been used to using the IDirect3DDevice9::SetCursorProperties - method to display a hardware cursor in DX9. Now in DX11, there doesn't seem to be such a thing, reading from MSDN suggests to use the GDI cursor system, using SetCursor. It only states how to load a cursor from a resource or a file, however I'd need to use a directx11-texture for my cursor. Is there any way to do so, or at least to create a GDI cursor from such a texture?

Advertisement

probably easier to just draw it yourself as a sprite. never send windows to do a game's job.  its designed for business apps, not games.  they had to add directx to it cause they were losing the PC game market.  only now are they beginning to embrace directx as a better way to do graphics for all of windows.  when building games, the best thing to do is get windows the "F" out of your universe, then get on with building a game. this means create a window, go directx fullscreen, and kiss windoze goodbye (except for a message pump)!

Edited by Norman Barrows

probably easier to just draw it yourself as a sprite.

I also had that idea, but I threw it away quickly because quite frankly, wouldn't that lead to freezing the mouse if e.g. the app hangs? Not that this isn't something one wants to avoid anyway, but I don't want to give the user the illusion his PC died when really only the app got some sort of problem. Isn't that quite a common problem with this solution?

never send windows to do a game's job. its designed for business apps, not games. they had to add directx to it cause they were losing the PC game market. only now are they beginning to embrace directx as a better way to do graphics for all of windows. when building games, the best thing to do is get windows the "F" out of your universe, then get on with building a game. this means create a window, go directx fullscreen, and kiss windoze goodbye (except for a message pump)!

Interesting statement, in the past I've read numerous people here stating the exact opposite, namely that you should concern the OS with anything like drawing texts, gui, cursor... I'm not a fan of that eigther, but is it really a good idea to take everything into your own hands?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!