Environment Map for large scale outdoor scene

Started by
1 comment, last by hflong325 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi~I've read some papers about using an environment cube map for secondary specular lighting and want to try this in my engine, but I don't know very clearly about how to create environment map for an outdoor scene, since the scene is so large, and different area may need different cube maps. If I create them on several places, how can I make sure all the objects can sample the right light infomation, especially for the dynamic objects? If I create cube maps for every single object,then the memory cost may be a problem,and this also cause problems when I deal with the moving object.So how do current game engine usually manage their environment maps?

Advertisement

In the source engine, for example, map designers place little environment mapping entities which are used as camera positions for generating environment maps that are used on reflective/shiny polygons. Each polygon selects the environment cubemap entity that is closest to its position and uses the cubemap generated from its position - this approximates having each object/surface generate its own environment map.

Of course, you would only be generating these environment cubemaps when they are relevant to the perspective of the scene being rendered, and only if an object actually needs one generated.

In the source engine, for example, map designers place little environment mapping entities which are used as camera positions for generating environment maps that are used on reflective/shiny polygons. Each polygon selects the environment cubemap entity that is closest to its position and uses the cubemap generated from its position - this approximates having each object/surface generate its own environment map.

Of course, you would only be generating these environment cubemaps when they are relevant to the perspective of the scene being rendered, and only if an object actually needs one generated.

Thanks for your reply~It's a good solution and I'll try it later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement