Sprite Kit or Unity

Started by
6 comments, last by DejaimeNeto 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi everyone. I recently start learning Objective-C and I want to make games for iOS. In September 18 Apple official release own framework called Sprite Kit. On the other hand soon in Unity 4.3 will native support for 2D development. And I have a question about which of the tool should I use for make 2D game for iOS?

Advertisement

I would be weary against using anything for a game that has not been on the market long. Using "just released" things for game development can provide some major headaches.

That being said I would personally choose Unity 2D of the choices. Unity has a proven track record, the project seems to have some degree of longevity, and I feel they are less inclined to completely mess everything up for you.

I really don't like the way Apple treats developers, and so I wouldn't trust them anymore than absolutely necessary.

Plus Unity gives you the option to bring your game to different platforms eventually.

Try both and see what you like best. Sprite Kit should be a decent choice for making an iOS game, but I highly doubt your game will run on older versions of iOS... Keep in mind that there other options out there such as LibGDX, Game Maker Studio, Cocos2d, ect.

Good luck!

If you are wanting 2d, I'd say GameMaker Studio. I know it isn't one of your choices, but the above poster mentioned why.

I can also say that if this is a learning time for you, and if you are going to be interested in 3d later, maybe you should spend time learning Unity. Even without the upcoming 2d features, it has been used for many 2d games. And since it can also do 3d, it would be better to learn in the long run that GameMaker Studio if you are interested in 3d.

I would suggest going with Unity. Unity is cross platform and you can write the code in C#. C#, in my opinion, is much better than objective-c. Also Unity is a full game engine. It looks like what apple is putting out there is going to be more like a toolkit for making games, probably on the same level as XNA only with added physics support.
My current game project Platform RPG

Hi everyone. I recently start learning Objective-C and I want to make games for iOS. In September 18 Apple official release own framework called Sprite Kit. On the other hand soon in Unity 4.3 will native support for 2D development. And I have a question about which of the tool should I use for make 2D game for iOS?

You just answered yourself, go SpriteKit

I think the past 4 months were long enough for the OP to make a decision already. Moreover, s/he wasn't online since Sep. 22, 2013, and hence will probably never read your answer.

As JTippets wrote several times this day: "Please do not necro old threads."

I wonder what happened to this person.

Have you considered SpriteBuilder?

@edit - Dead thread... ok

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement