• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Norman Barrows

fixed function blendops for snow tex on ground tex?

This topic is 2126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

anyone remember fixed function blend ops?

anyone any good with them?

in the past i resorted to writing my own 10 channel weighted texture blender because i couldn't seem to get the desired result (4 way weighted blending) with blendops. 

i'm now faced with the challenge of drawing snow on the ground in Caveman (openworld rpg/person sim - fps interface).

in the previous version, i used a pre-blended 50-50 snow texture for each regular ground texture, and a single 100% snow texture.  

but this time around, there are more types of terrain, and each type now has 4 seamless tiled textures (for the moment, may add more) instead of just one base texture that got mirrored in x and z to reduce moire`.  so lots more textures to make a "half snow" version of.  

obviously, variable alpha blending of a 100% snow texture would be ideal, but probably too much of a performance hit. basically drawing two complete ground meshes, the regular one, and a variably translucent snow one just above it.

on the other end of the scale, pre-blended textures would be fastest,but would be limited to the % blends done ahead of time, and memory could become a factor if a large number of textures was required. 

i need a low overhead way to do this.  so i was thinikng maybe a two stage blendop might not be so bad. and i'd only need one texture instead of pre-blending dozens.

any blendops come to mind?    are they fast? i really can't afford anything like a true multipass algo.

Edited by Norman Barrows

Advertisement

SOLVED

default blendops are as follows:

stage 0:

colorop: modulate        arg1   texture               arg2: diffuse 

alphaop: select 1         arg1   texture/diffuse    arg2:  current        (diffuse is used if no texture is set)

uses uv coordinate set 0

stages 1 through 7:

colorop: disable           arg1:  texture               arg2: current

alphaop: disable          arg1: texture/diffuse     arg2: current        (diffuse is used if no texture is set)

stages 1-7 use uv coordinate sets 1-7 respectively.

the blendop desired is blend factor alpha, which blends between two textures based on the value of a d3d color (the alpha channel most likely) passed to the system.

NOTE:

1. stage 1 uses uv set 1. unless you have two sets of uv's in your vertex data, you need to set stage 1 to use uv set 0. otherwise d3d uses 0.0f for all uv coords for stage 1.

this results in a blend to the color of the UL pixel of the second texture.

2. setting the texture for stage 1 increases the reference count on the texture used. you must set the texture in stage 1 to NULL when done, to decrement the reference count again.

here's the code to turn on and off snow blending:

void turnon_snowblending()
{
int i;
float f;
D3DCOLOR color;
f=snow_accumulation;        // calc blend factor.....
f*=255.0f;
if (f > 255.0f) f=255.0f;
i=(int)f;
color=D3DCOLOR_RGBA(i,i,i,i);
Zd3d_device_ptr->SetRenderState(D3DRS_TEXTUREFACTOR,color);          // set blend factor.....
Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTexture(1,Ztex[341].tex);        // TEX 341          // set the snow texture.....
Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_COLOROP,D3DTOP_BLENDFACTORALPHA);     // tell it to blend
//Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_COLORARG1,D3DTA_TEXTURE);                        // these commented out lines aren't required
///Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_COLORARG2,D3DTA_CURRENT);                      // the arg values are the same as the default current sttings
//Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_ALPHAOP,D3DTOP_BLENDFACTORALPHA);   // this apparently doesn't need to be turned on.
//Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1,D3DTA_TEXTURE);
//Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2,D3DTA_CURRENT);
Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX,0);              // use uv set 0, there is no uv set 1, so it uses 0.0 for all uv's!
}

void turnoff_snowblending()
{
//D3DCOLOR color;                                                  
 // again, commented out lines are not required. you know how d3d is - sometimes you have to try a few things until you get the right combo.
// texturefactor doesn't need to be reset, because snow blending is the only place its used.
//color=D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255);
Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTexture(1,NULL);            // set tex to null to decrement reference to snow tex
Zd3d_device_ptr->SetTextureStageState(1,D3DTSS_COLOROP,D3DTOP_DISABLE);     // turn off blending
//Zd3d_device_ptr->SetRenderState(D3DRS_TEXTUREFACTOR,color);
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!