Video Tutorials

Started by
2 comments, last by Goran Milovanovic 10 years, 7 months ago

I was wondering why people usually recommend book tutorials? Actually I didn't see before someone recommend a youtube playlist to learn from, are they not good to begin with?

Advertisement

I think it's because there's generally a much larger source of tutorials in text( on the web or in books ) rather than in video tutorials. Most of the video tutorials are also done by amateur teachers who may not be very good at displaying information in a manner you can understand or explain some key concepts.

Texts, especially published books, are usually written by professors or gurus on the subject who know their stuff in and out. Also in a text they're able to deliver more information than what you might be able to get in a video tutorial.

But I can't say for sure, i've never read a programming book in my life nor have I watched any video tutorials.

I think the reason is also historical - programming takes a few years to learn so most of us didn't have resources like youtube when we were teaching ourselves, consequently I tend to recommend books I've read when people ask me for starting points. Panda dragon makes good points about books being a real repository of knowledge written by somebody who knows his stuff well enough to get a publishing deal.

In the end it doesn't really matter, everybody has his own learning style - just do whatever works for you.

I created a Python video tutorial series, which covers the development of a simple memory match game:

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement