• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Eorz

Freshie!

This topic is 2135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright. This is my first post so hiya all! :)

Well, I am aspiring to become a game designer and have played and understood every genre of game that there is. (Not all the games, mind you).

I have been searching on basics of programming online but no dice :/

Then, I found these forums and decided to give it a try.

Here's what I know and have done:-

1) C programming: I have done several stuff in this like simple adder, subtracter, multiplier, power function, if-then-else-statements, cost-function, profit-function and such. Have got a good hand over it.

2) C++ - not much

3) Java:- less than C but a lot more than C++

4) HTML - A huge amount. Even created a webpage of my own (Not hosted, sorry!)

In case of Graphics, I am well versed in GIMP, Photoshop and Corel Draw.

Although, this is not much, it is all I have and would like to expand it further.

P.S. I am 17 currently and am still in high school. :)

Regards,

Eorz (Game-name in Drakensang Online)

Advertisement

So what are you asking for friend? Are you looking for some tutorials? Could you provide some specifics as to what kind of games and/or the mechanics you'd like to implement so someone can shoot you on the right way?

Also this:

I have done several stuff in this like simple adder, subtracter, multiplier, power function, if-then-else-statements, cost-function, profit-function and such. Have got a good hand over it.

Is more basic math than it is programming. You're going to need a lot more under your belt biggrin.png

If you're doing C++ and are interested in OpenGL, here are some things i've picked up...
http://antongerdelan.net/opengl/

http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro-to-modern-OpenGL.-Table-of-Contents.html
http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

These tutorials use varying libraries, so these are the ones I've opted for all my development: SOIL( Graphics loading library ), GLFW3( Window and input handling ), and GLEW( Extension loading library ).

If you're interested in learning c++ I found the book "accelerated c++" to be very good - no snazzy graphics, everything's in the console so you'll have to have a little patience to do anything truly spiffy but it's a great read to have under your belt.

You are not advanced enough to take the whole "create a high quality C++ engine using DirectX/OpenGL from scratch" route. This is a route that take years even for an advanced programmer before they get result. You should probably just learn the different possibilities to make games. One would be to use a free existing game engine like Unity and play with it.

Well, what I want to create are games like WoW, AOE, Drakensang and such types. What do I need for that?

Well, what I want to create are games like WoW, AOE, Drakensang and such types. What do I need for that?

You're an eager one aren't you?

Games like those require skilled teams and months if not years of development, and that's even when beginning off of an engine with all basics already done for them.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but you have to think small before you can think big. Make small simple games and work up your ability to program and create resources for your own games. Start with a simple pong game and other recreations of other simple games( mario for example ) until you can develop your skills to a point where you can effectively work with a team or create your own to tackle larger and more ambitious projects.

I'd say take a look at the engines if all your interested in is game development. Unity, UDK, even Game Maker will do for the simpler projects. There's also other great light weight libraries and engines that should put you on the right track, some specifically created for the type of games you want to make.

I would recommend taking a look at Unity. There is a free version, and lots of help online. You will also be able to learn programming (C# or "Javascript") with it and see results very quickly. Although there is merit in learning C++ and working at a low-level, this is not the best place to start for a beginner. If you want to start even simpler maybe take a look at GameMaker. It's pretty basic, but you can learn the fundamentals coding pong or mario clones to start out with.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!