• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Brick

Most Widely Used Programming Language (for games)

This topic is 2083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

C++11 is responsible for the "nightmare" portion of my statement. Everything prior is the "piece of shit."

Advertisement
C++ is very good, despite all the hatred, usually fueled by frustration or sometimes inexperience.
C# is one that should not be overlooked.
Lua, Python and other scripting languages, for rapid development of simpler games.
GameMaker, Stencyl, Construct2, and similar.
HTML5 is growing and promising.
Haxe, Torque2D, or any other gamedev specialized tools.

The only important thing is being able to create a game using something.
What you used won't really matter that much in the end, on a playable game. Edited by dejaime

C++ is very good, despite all the hatred, usually fueled by frustration or sometimes inexperience.

Lulz.

People who like C++ typically are the ones lacking experience in other languages and development paradigms.

Lulz.

People who like C++ typically are the ones lacking experience in other languages and development paradigms.

Or lacking experience with C++, on the surface it doesn't look that bad and most of the problems caused by incorrect usage are hidden from the programmer (until a user sends in a cryptic crash report or that fancy server application you wrote got hacked using a buffer overrun), heck a significant portion of all bugs and security flaws in todays software, written by professionals with years of experience would have easily been avoided had they used a different language. (Yes, C++ has its advantages for low level code and has gotten better in recent years, sometimes it is even the best option available but its not a perfect language)

Edited by SimonForsman

Lulz.

Not really,

I've hated C++ for about two years. I only had experience with Java, C# and scripting languages.

But I was faced with a job that required C++ and was forced to learn it.

Aside from C++, I have experience in Java, C#, Prolog (for specific applications), PHP, Java Script, COBOL (only maintenance of an old-but-running system).

Languages I learned as hobby are Ruby (as I thought it would be the next big thing), Perl (good old times of Ragnarok Online bots), Haxe (only recently).

And in my opinion, C++ is not a monster.

But yeah, I lack experience when compared to some, but I do this for eight years, and I like to think can differ an opinion and a fact, even when the opinion is mine.

Edited by dejaime

Why do you presume I was talking about you?

My statement stands: most people who like C++ don't know any better.

There are occasional people who like C++ and do have wide experience, which is fine. Some people also like having hot wax poured on their genitals. To each his own, but don't ask me to participate with a smile on my face ;-)

The sad truth is C++ has many benefits when compared to many other languages and we are sort of "forced" to use it if we want to have fast programs that can run on any hardware and we know will still be around in 20+ years. I would love if C# ruled the world myself, but sadly it doesn't.

Edited by rpiller

I don't believe any language is truly superior to the other. That's unless, you start talking about targeted platforms and design paradigms. This is because you're also now talking about frameworks. The biggest void I find in debates like this is the confusion between what works better versus what is more convenient, practical and cost efficient to code with.  With that said, I completely agree with ApochPiQ. People who like C++ typically are the ones lacking experience in other languages and development paradigms. 

Moving to something more personal, I would favor Java. With so much mobility, I feel that .NET and the JVM rain dominant as a mobile developmental option. However, Java is free, as is learning it and having access to all Java SE APIs. Also, Java is practically the preferred language for developing standard programs on the Android OS as their are not one, but two very powerful APIs for it (Oracle's Java ME and Google's Android SDK). If Java had a 3D framework that was by far more competitively scalable, economically efficient, simpler, and maintainable, there would be a lot more threads about gaming in Java in comparison to C#. Think about it: Java has it's roots well planted in network scalability and mobility, while C# has it's roots well planted in mobile presentation. They both can perform just as good as their counterpart, but Java lacks in presentation. That's why when you compare game engines like Unity versus jMonkey, it doesn't take much to figure out that Unity looks a hell of a lot nicer. However, start talking about business logic with Apache Hadoop, Oracle Weblogic, IBM Websphere, what ever SAP uses, or the Android SDK, and you pretty much talking about Java.

The sad truth is C++ has many benefits when compared to many other languages and we are sort of "forced" to use it if we want to have fast programs that can run on any hardware and we know will still be around in 20+ years. I would love if C# ruled the world myself, but sadly it doesn't.

That fast process you are talking about my friend is primarily the pass by reference part of C++, which is a huge trade-off to security and portability. The part of C++ that I feel makes that language shine is it's ability to be a low level, mid level and high level programming language. However, valuing the low/mid level part of the language for the speed, in a high level development paradigm is a design weakness. Best be careful with that logic. ;)

Editorial note: Sorry, I just realized I posted twice on the same thread. lol Silly me.

Edited by Subtle_Wonders

Most commonly used language for games ... i would say c++. Yes it's hard to use and has problems, even its creator admits that but it doesn't change the fact that even if it can make you want to shoot your foot, many companies still use it fort their games.
Comparing the language used in most games you've spent your money buying and you should see that c++ was used in someway.
You saying that c++ is used by those who don't know any better sounds like either you've never used the language or you couldn't learn it or you were looking for something easier.
Looking at the name of this thread sounds like the op knows the answer but is looking for doubt to feel his mind (kinda like what i did when ... ).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!