• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
villacu

Python 2D game engine

This topic is 2127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently started to program using python to learn (later I want to learn Java and C). And now I think Im ready for developing a very simple game. My question: What is the BEST 2d game engine for python?
Thanks smile.png

Advertisement

Pygame all the way, for a beginner.

PySDL2 and Pyglet are good and gaining traction, but I would really recommend pygame if you are starting out.

* As stated below, these are not game "engines" per se, but as of right now, you will not find a 2d game engine unless you want to use an outdated version of python (i.e. 2.4, 2.5, 2.6) but if you don't mind that I guess there's Cocos2d.

Edited by Vikato

Pygame all the way, for a beginner.

PySDL2 and Pyglet are good and gaining traction, but I would really recommend pygame if you are starting out.

None of those are game engines. That's not to say they're bad libraries though.

Personally I suspect that you don't really need a "game engine", especially for simple 2d games. If you find a suitable engine, great. If you don't, it's not a disaster either, your game might work just as well with a custom-written one especially if it's simple.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!