[WIP|HTML5] Kobold Caves - a SimAnt and classic D&D inspired sandbox game

Started by
3 comments, last by cbotman 10 years, 6 months ago

Hello all,

Kobold Caves is a sandbox, dungeon-building game inspired by SimAnt; a fantastic, old Dungeons & Dragons module called Keep on the Borderlands; and Majesty. You look after a tribe of kobolds on a randomly generated map, however, you don't control your kobolds directly. Instead you issue orders such as dig here or attack that, which your kobolds will try their best to complete, while juggling their own needs such as food and sleep.

Kobold Caves is in its early stages. I've gotten it to the point where I feel enough of the core concepts are in place you can at least see what I'm trying to do, but it needs a bit more work before it'll be much fun. So take a look, have a play around, and come back again soon if you are interested as I have a lot to add.

Would love to hear any initial feedback you have. As much as I wanted to add more features and try to make things perfect before I share this, I am trying to go with the 'never too early for feedback' mantra.

Play now or check the quickstart guide.

Thanks very much!

Advertisement

Hi,

If you don't have one already, I recommend you add an error handler which detects unhandled exceptions (somehow - I think it's possible) and somehow sends them in a report back to the server (with the browser version, etc).

I see some error messages on the Javascript console, and if I pause / unpause sometimes it hangs.

I find the scrollbars annoying. I find the scrolling annoying.

If you must implement your own scrolling, ensure that scrollbars don't also appear.

I think your game assumes that the window size remains constant during play; this won't be true for all (maybe most) players, particularly on desktop.

---

Otherwise it's pretty good, the gameplay mechanics do seem to work. Although I think a "flee" behaviour would be useful, the PCs don't seem to notice that they have almost zero HP.

Hi markr, thanks for trying it out and taking the time to give feedback. Really appreciate it.

That's a good idea about the error handler, I've added it as the first thing to do on my list.

Hehe, I think I had forgotten how bad the scrolling is. I do have plans to improve that, at the moment it really way just me looking for the quickest solution. I'll check out the resizing thing. I think I know what's going on: the main animation canvas handles being resized (well, it should), but I'm not checking the position of the various windows, which probably then cause scrolling and weirdness.

Flee is also on the list as well. Actually, there's two things. One is having kobolds flee from combat and the other is when you flag an enemy, have some smarts about who actually attacks: preferably the strongest one.

Thanks again. :)

I liked the game, very interesting.

Maybe there is not still some final goal or quest to finish in order to capture player attention, so i can't evaluate it fully.

Good work.

Evil bay - Our new game at FourLeafGames! (Link to the game)
Link to our web site! Leave a message if you like it! - Web site

My new italian Website! - Web site

Hi m3rlino,

Thanks. Yeah I agree, so far some of the mechanics are in place, but the game does not yet have the feel or purpose I want it to.

Not being an artist, getting the current graphics in place took me quite a long time, but now that it's done, I can focus on code and gameplay. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement