• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MzDay

Effective C++ (book)

This topic is 2122 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am reading "C++ for the impatient" and I am going to finish this book soon so i figured I should get "Effective C++".

So my question is, is this book updated?

Should i get this book or there are other books that recommended and more updated than this book?

thanks in advance.

Advertisement

So should i get both? smile.png

They are both good books, but they aren't really good for reference. If you want a career as a C++ programmer they both are frequently recommended.  

You don't need to buy them to read them. You can borrow them from a friend or a coworker.  You can get them through your library, or if your local library doesn't have a copy request them through ILL (which is often free to the borrower).

Why not make it a trifecta?  Grab 'Effective STL'.  The formatting and cross-referencing are the same.  You're given 50 specific points for improving your code with a copious amount of rationale behind the decisions in each of the books.

But maybe that's getting ahead of things.  C++ kinda grows on you.  If you pile up on books but don't do much programming you won't absorb the knowledge and fully understand what Scott Meyer is trying to explain.

These books are definatly worth reading but, don't go out and buy them new as they haven't been updated in a while.  Check the used books on Amazon and you can somethimes get them for next to nothing.

Or just borrow them from a library.

Maybe I'll buy it used because non of the library's near me have those books.. (and i cant request them :\)

What should I start with?

And @Matt-D, do you know when the "Effective C++11" will come out?

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!