• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SymLinked

Do you know anyone running their production game servers with Wine on Linux?

This topic is 2132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

Do you know anyone running their production game servers with Wine on Linux? Is there a reason not to? Economical perhaps, or maybe it's not as stable as running directly on Windows? Does it support windbg so we can send callstack dumps when it crashes?

Dedicated/VPS hosting is usually cheaper for Linux hosts, which is the reason I'm asking. But I'm thinking it might be more hassle than it's worth, and extra maintanance complexity because we primarly work with Windows.

Edited by SymLinked

Advertisement

Just fork over the cash for a windows server. I know of people using a linux app on a linux server (since a server app doesn't need an elaborate GUI or rendering system, so porting shouldn't be beyond possibility), but using a WINE emulation layer is just a bit crazy imho..... 

Thanks for your opinion on this, Rob!

The game server actually runs under Linux already, but if the server crashes it's more work for us to open the crash dumps as we can't use Visual Studio for it. And it's a lot easier to just use one platform and not have to recompile for both. And, we're familiar with how to use Windows.

And Windows is so huge. We're currently running one server on Amazon EC2, and the Windows installation alone uses 22GB out of the 30GB we have.
Sorry for the rant..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!