• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chris528

OpenGL Do you still use immediate mode for rendering menus?

This topic is 2124 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I'm currently coding a menu system for my game and am using sdl 2.0 but i want to convert it to use opengl for all drawing instead, but have no idea if its acceptable to be using immediate mode for this as its deprecated. Is gl immediate mode the way I should go about this or do i somehow use a vbo for menu drawing? I don't have that much practical experience with gl and would appreciate some input.

Thanks, Chris528

Advertisement

I'd not use immediate mode OpenGL (in the sense of glBegin/glEnd) in any new implementation. Reserving a small VBO, writing some vertices to it in reaction of an own drawRoundedRect or so, and pushing the VBO then to the GPU would be a solution that is similar in granularity but away from deprecated API.

Immediate mode isn't available in OpenGL ES, the most widely used version of OpenGL out there (think every phone and tablet). Get used to not using it now and you wont have a problem going forward.

Most engines that I've used have some kind of "immediate mode" rendering API, (which is usually only used for quick hacks or debug visualizations) but internally it is implemented by copying the user-supplied data into VBOs and rendering as usual (not using GL immediate mode).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!