C++ DirectX 11 Problems

Started by
7 comments, last by Renthalkx97 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey this is my first time on the forums so bear with me. I recently started using a new laptop and ever since whenever I try to run DirectX 11 programs I get the "Failed Creating the Direct3D Device" error. Now if I run a DirectX 10/9 program I get no errors and everything runs fine. HOWEVER, when I run DXDIAG it says I have DirectX 11. So I'm not really sure what is going on. And it's nothing to do with my code because I've even ran sample code off Microsoft's website for DX11 and it still gave me the same error. Any one got any idea what's going wrong? Thanks in adance.

Advertisement

Well, there is a difference in how you set up the Direct3D device between DX10 and DX11. In DX11 they have split the device up into device and deviceContext so the set up is slightly different. Are you 100 % sure that you have done it correctly? Which Graphics Card do you have?

Having DirectX 11 installed does not mean your card necessarily supports the full functionality of DX11. It may, in fact, only support feature level 10, or 10_1.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Well, there is a difference in how you set up the Direct3D device between DX10 and DX11. In DX11 they have split the device up into device and deviceContext so the set up is slightly different. Are you 100 % sure that you have done it correctly? Which Graphics Card do you have?

Yes, I'm 100% sure. I downloaded the VC++ project from Microsoft and directly opened it in VC++ 2010 Express. And I have some P.O.S. Intel HD Graphics Family card.

Having DirectX 11 installed does not mean your card necessarily supports the full functionality of DX11. It may, in fact, only support feature level 10, or 10_1.

Yes, I know but I figured since I can play WoW with DirectX 11 enabled then my card supports all of that stuff? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

With DirectX 10 and above you can create devices that support lower feature levels. I cannot be sure what WoW does, but it is likely that they would support feature levels 10 and 10_1 at least.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Yes, I'm 100% sure. I downloaded the VC++ project from Microsoft and directly opened it in VC++ 2010 Express. And I have some P.O.S. Intel HD Graphics Family card.

Here is a link to the different cards from Intel and what DirectX versions they support. Find out exactly which one you have and know for sure.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm

Under the "display" tab in dxdiag you can see which feature levels are supported by your hardware.

Whelp, turns out my card only supports up to 10.1. Thanks for the help though I appreciate i.t

Also I read that it's fairly easy to convert DX10 code to DX11 code. Is that true? Because I'm probably going to be getting a new laptop which supports DX11 soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement