How to design progression?

Started by
5 comments, last by wodinoneeye 10 years, 6 months ago

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. I am usually not the talker, but ever since I can remember gamedev.net existing, I've been an on-and-off visitor. Maybe since 2004-ish? I'm 28, a web developer by trade, but a game developer by heart. For the longest time, I've been eager to find the time to create my own game - and here I am, leaping boldly.

So I'm staying true to some familiar ground here - I'm going to create a game for the web, using web technology. Maybe it's not the most exciting technology choice, but for me who live and breath "interweb technology" it's a safer starting point.

So tech aside and to my issue at hand.

I'm creating a ... urmf, MOBA type-style game, though far more simplistic. I'm imagining Heroes of Might and Magic battles. One field, two players, both with their own composition of heroes (or "toons"). A maximum of 4, and a minimum of 1. Each hero has its own abilities/gear. The player picks a fight which by either victory, or defeat. Turn based actions are controlled by the player. End.

In short I'd say its a "League of Legends/DOTA vs Heroes of Might and Magic" gone browser based.

Using WebGL my goal is to get the battles visually represented in 3D (similar to what you saw in Heroes of Might and Magic).

Though the battles aside, I want RPG elements added to a players progression. Without using 3d rendering, I want a player to somehow be able to "collect" materials (or mats), craft items and use them in a battle. Maybe in time add more heroes which a player can (pokemon-style) collect. But how would I concept this? How would I implement an "exploring/finding concept" for a browser based game?

In other words, if you were developing Diablo 2, but are not able to utilise graphics, how would you do it?

Obviously, limiting myself by technology and more importantly, scope, and if you're kind enough to give me some feedback I hope you keep these limitations in mind.

I hope I made myself understood and that my post wasn't reflecting poorly on my intentions!

Yours,

iwantoski

Advertisement

One field, two players, both with their own composition of heroes (or "toons"). A maximum of 4, and a minimum of 1. Each hero has its own abilities/gear.

Turn based actions are controlled by the player.

I want RPG elements added to a players progression.

How would I implement an "exploring/finding concept"

In other words, if you were developing Diablo 2

how would you do it?

sounds like you want to make a hybrid game. part turn based hero combat, and part rpg. IE a rpg with turn based hero combat.

such a game can be done in 2d or 3d or both, and can be web based or not, assuming the web based performance is acceptable.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Collecting materials and treasures that can be put to good use between battles is a good idea, but it doesn't depend on explicit RPG-style exploration.
The player's army can search the battlefield and its vicinity for useful stuff after winning a battle, implicitly, instantaneously and offscreen (you can list what has been found in end of battle summary panels).

If you want exploration for its own sake, it can be integrated within the turn-based battles: an obstacle-rich large environment can require a lot of movement before contact with the enemy. The "battle" could be finding something in a dungeon without dying or grabbing as much as possible before a flood drives the heroes away.

Technologically, the only requirements for exploring in battle are scrolling a partial view of the battlefield (rather than showing a fixed full view of a small battlefield) and fog of war.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

sounds like you want to make a hybrid game. part turn based hero combat, and part rpg. IE a rpg with turn based hero combat.

such a game can be done in 2d or 3d or both, and can be web based or not, assuming the web based performance is acceptable.

1. Yes, I do want to make a hybrid. Part Turn based hero combat, part RPG.

2. While I agree, I wish not to make a full fledged RPG world, because I'm an one man army, and would love it if there's a different way I could go about solving my desires for the game.

Hello,

In web game development, we see browser, Windows, dedicated server, and cloud based as the major issues. Given the movement toward mobile games (including laptops in my opinion), then I would recommend cloud based and primarily vector graphics game development with Java as the core of the game source code. Browser games are very challenging across mobiles in the debugging area. Vector graphics prevent many of the snags, either Windows or browser. Java allows excellent flexibility at the source code level with support for the major webpage languages and art asset file formats. If this is a hobby then, go where you feel, but if you have professional goals in "web" games, then I recommend a game engine, which will streamline the lower level coding issues for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Have non-player opponent minor battles where the loot is the mats (and/or $$$ to buy 'Mats')

Let these opponents use many of the same battle methods a player opponent could use so that the player can exercise their toons abilities (explore them to see how the many options work) and get proficient for the VS Player battles.

Skill may or may not also be generated by these solo battles....

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

Hello,

In web game development, we see browser, Windows, dedicated server, and cloud based as the major issues. Given the movement toward mobile games (including laptops in my opinion), then I would recommend cloud based and primarily vector graphics game development with Java as the core of the game source code. Browser games are very challenging across mobiles in the debugging area. Vector graphics prevent many of the snags, either Windows or browser. Java allows excellent flexibility at the source code level with support for the major webpage languages and art asset file formats. If this is a hobby then, go where you feel, but if you have professional goals in "web" games, then I recommend a game engine, which will streamline the lower level coding issues for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Clinton

Im still exploring whether any near real time games on mobiles (tablets and smartphones) are yet viable with the current limitations of typical infrastructure (away from your dedicated home AP installation - for both players)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement