• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dAND3h

Ensure no dependency error with DirectX release

This topic is 2120 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am probably being dense, but whenever I try to build my directX game in release mode, it stops with a linker error: LNK1181.

All my paths are the same as in debug mode and I have the latest DX SDK installed. This leads me to the question, how do I make sure if I release my game that all the outside dependencies are included if they are not directly in my project? I am guessing thats what you would do during the install, but for directX, mostly everyone has, I don't know.

So if I was to pass this projects release folder over to a friend, how do I make sure they can play the game without needing to install the SDK?

My first attempt was to copy paste the .lib files needed into the project, but i am not sure where to put them. 

Thanks for reading

Advertisement

Have a look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y6b12xkc.aspx they mention that if you have a path that contains spaces in it and you didn't put quotes around it you might get this error as well.

You have to pass the redist for your DX sdk to your friend as well, you can find this in the directX sdk folder and it is ok to redistribute the release version of these files. You will most likely also want to do the same thing with the C++ runtime you have built against as well this is found in the MSVS directory and only the release version.

Edited by NightCreature83

Thanks for the reply, so do I need to give my friend the entire redist folder? ...I still don't understand why it won't work for me though, I have everything installed and I just double checked the spelling in the release configuration.. Specifically, it is currently looking for the d3dx9.lib. I am also using the "additional Include Directories" within the C/C++ General option, should I perhaps be setting the include and lib directories from within the VC++ directories option?

EDIT: So I found out why it wouldn't work for me, I didn't add the library include to the release config....I have no idea why

Edited by dAND3h

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!