Newbies at Game Dezign

Started by
1 comment, last by GamerzEdge 10 years, 6 months ago

Many people start playing games and one day they start saying to themselves hey I want to do that for a living or just to brag to your friends about your game design skills. Later you find out you actually need to study 4 years C++ programming, high level Maths and hope and pray you going to get a job. In a nutshell its hard but don't give up because I am here to tell you casual gamers out there about the best way to get started in this type of career or for fun the best programmes, tutorials and script that's the most popular to learn from.

Follow my Blog

http://diydezign.blogspot.com/

Advertisement

Moving you to our "Your Announcements" forum.

Do you have any experience that you feel qualifies you to offer advice to others?

You stated that "Python mostly belongs to the PS3 format". Apart from the fact that this doesn't really make sense -- perhaps you could clarify what you think you mean by "belongs to the PS3 format" -- it's also incorrect in that Python has no particular relation to PS3 at all. It's very viable on many other platforms, and is probably most commonly used on desktop computers.

You then go on to say "just like Ruby it is a tricky language to master". While mastering any language is a notable achievement, both Python and Ruby are generally considered to be very approachable to beginners, with other languages such as C++ are considered to be trickier.

In your section on Unity3d, you started by saying "we can't all be masters of programming languages", which is probably misleading given you can't actual create games in Unity3d without programming unless you purchase an additional third-party add-on to allow the use of a visual scripting system.

You mentioned Photoshop as "the only programme that is needed for designers". In Japan the term "designer" is typically applied to what western studios call "artists" or "graphic designers", and Photoshop is just one of several popular tools commonly used by artists. For a designer (in the typical western sense of the term) however, Photoshop may not necessarily be used much if at all, with Word Processors and mind-mapping software often being very important tools.

I don't want to be discouraging, but are you sure you're ready to be offering advice to others on these topics? If you wish to continue, you should probably do a little more research and proof-read before publishing further posts. Good luck! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

I agree with Jbadams, not a lot of depth here in this post, but I appreciate you providing encouragement to others and trying to consolidate some basic tutorials for these platforms.

I am not sure what your skill level is at, but your post almost feels like you yourself are trying to break through that learning curve and this is a method you are using to help you wrap your head around the different platforms and methods to publishing a game. If that is the case there are some great tutorial links to some of these platforms like Unity in the forums, one great link since I have it handy is, http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html.

Otherwise if you have some experience with one or more of these platforms and are looking to contribute, I would love to see some more tutorials coming from you. Even if you are not an expert, these 'tutorials' can be good for others and yourself as a learning mechanism, as long as the information is accurate of course.

I'm just a guy - that's it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement