• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
robotbrain

Is it worth getting started with XNA today? or will there be something new?

This topic is 2122 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I'm actually more serious about this question, then just another "what's better" topic.

I mostly program with C/C++, but after seeing all the great software developed with C# I got very interested in game programming with XNA. After searching for information, I found out that XNA will not be developed anymore. First of all, is this correct?

Microsoft is great and I love the developer tools, but it seems to be true, that they have never stuck with a game development technology for long.

My main question is this. What is really hapenning with XNA and is it worth working with today? Is Microsoft going to be releasing a new game development technology? Is it going to be scrapped completely? Will it be supported? etc. I think you guys get what I mean.

C/C++ has always been a fine language and whenever a library gets discontinued, there is something else to pick it up.

What are the XNA/C# options for the near future?

Advertisement

I would say, if you care about features and future proofing, no. Not worth it!

It is easy to learn and had the pipeline which handles (often poorly for more advanced stuff) a lot of the asset management for you.

But, things like SharpDX and especially the SharpDX toolkit are again very easy to pick up. The toolkit looks similar to XNA. Then there is AXN.

But if you have money and want to go with XNA, the Sunburn engine might be worth checking out.

Were I to start today and under C#, I would go with SharpDX. After you have set it up, which even without the toolkit is fairly easy, things are not significantly more complicated than with XNA. A vertex buffer is a vertex buffer, a render target is a render target. You will meet you first hurdle probably when trying to import skinned meshes.

The problem with SharpdDx is that it is not very well documented. All the documentation for DirectX still applies, but if you are getting started, you will find it a lot harder than with XNA to get over the original hurdles.

I am learning and porting to SharpDX myself and will write some blog posts about porting both XNA and DXUT to SharpDX, but those will not come very soon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!