how to mod a game?

Started by
3 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 6 months ago

Hello, i was wondering how to mod a game so i searched in google but I don't found anything usefull or related to my question, well I am here hoping you guys could help me enlighten, what I have to do?

Advertisement

While the above post is for when the game is inherently not moddable, sometimes due to the original creators not wanting you to modify the game, sometimes you can mod games. One good example of this are source-based games, like Half-Life 1, 2 and almost all valve games. Certain games like Dota 2 have strictly forbidden modding due to the competitive nature of the game.

If you want to create source-engine mods there's a plethora of information out there, even on valves own site:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Modding

Other than that, you need to figure out what kind of game you would like to make, or mod, then find out if it's at all possible/worth the trouble.

If the game doesn't support modding from the get go, making it moddable could be an excercise in futility.

Which game in particular do you want to mod? As Kaptein is saying, the process is different for every game, depending on how much the developers support modding, and what tools they've provided.

Hi,

Most games dangle some of the art assets in the open in the main file directory, such as "skins" which are often in JPEG texture file format, sounds in files like .wav, and effects in any one of various animation files in the model folders. It is not unusual for a game publisher to eventually release information on how to encrypt entire model folders, which allows 3D or 2D artists to create their own artworks, encode them, and simply drop them in to the object folder that is positioned in the main registry of files for the game. The object files are often labeled for the purpose of class files such as Maps, Vehicles, Characters, and so forth (really can be named anything by the game developer), but if you look at several popular game registries then you will notice industry standards which become obvious with experience (Maps being one common standard name).

Almost all publishers and/or developers have website forums which explain what you may or may not be able to do in the way of modding their game. Some are very restrictive but most allow at least some modding and publishing of your mods. A few are very generous in providing not only the knowledge on how to mod their game but also some of the game engine tools which they used to develop the game.

Research is the intellectual spine of game development. I actually learned much about game development by modding games over the years. Some modders are allowed by license to add or extend their own coding of the game, sometimes called "add-ons", so be sure to read the licenses if any exist for a particular game. You just might be surprised.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement