Gamemaker,RPGmaker, etc.

Started by
10 comments, last by Shane C 10 years, 6 months ago

I've got a small team of friends together and I have a working knowledge of how to develop a game. My question has to do with what programs would be good for our project. I've taken a look at Game maker and RPG maker but they both require you to purchase them in order to do anything significant. Does anyone know of a similar program that can be used for free to develop a 2-D isometric view game? It should be beginner friendly and fairly easy to use. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Advertisement

I can do some basic programming like if statements, for loops, all the way up to arrays. The main reason I would be using a tool is for the graphics, sound, and the other things that would be more difficult to program.

I don't know any free game making tools for 2D isometric view, specially easy to use; as I assume easy to use means little to no coding.

Still, I can point you to Flare, a free open-source isometric RPG engine. Still, I must say that it may not fit your definition of easy-to-use.

Who knows if at least one person on your team is willing to learn how to use the Flare RPG engine? So i thought it was worth mentioning.

Thank you, that seems to be the exact type of program that I'm looking for, any similar suggestions would be appreciated.

I heard next version of Unity 3d will have 2D support! think about it.

There is that Engima Engine/SDK/something one of the users have been promoting. Supposedly is Game Maker compatible and free.

Edit: Yep, its Game Maker compatible, not RPG Maker compatible :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

There is that Engima Engine/SDK/something one of the users have been promoting. Supposedly is RPG Maker compatible and free.

What is this? I don't see it on google.

Edit - Never mind. I found it. Game Maker compatible, you mean.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

What is this? I don't see it on google.

Here you go: http://enigma-dev.org/

Ninja'd

Not really optimized for isometric view, but free and requires no coding, and can get the job done if used creatively: http://www.stencyl.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement