How to get motivated to learn Programming?

Started by
20 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 10 years, 6 months ago
Okay so I'm now on my fifteenth attempt to learn Programming. I knew html and developed websites in my early teens (Although I've forgotten alot of it now and it's all outdated now anyway 13-15 years later). I've hopped from language to language (I've tried them all including the dinosaur Pascal) since I was sixteen and I think that it is a motivation issue more than me not understanding the subject.
I mean, I'm plenty motivated to keep trying and it is my dream but I usually buy a book, read 400 pages or so and then quit halfway through and never pickup the book again. The same happens everytime I take a computer science course. They usually start me in Calculus I every single time and I'm almost doomed to fail every single time because I just don't get it, at all. I get discouraged and give up very easily and nobody really gives me that extra "push" of "You can do this!" that I need. It's like exercise and weight loss for me, it didn't start happening until my mother kicked my butt down the street. Although programming takes more dedication than probably anything else (definitely more than weight loss).
I think my language of choice is going to be C# though. I had the most success with C# and the C family in general. I had difficulty understanding arrays in c++ and found them easier in C# and c# is the most widely used globally. I can extend to C++, Java and other languages later.
So I guess what I'm asking is, is there any programmer here willing to donate some of his free time to helping me learn the language and give me the extra kick in the butt that I need over Skype or something? I of course won't waste your entire day or bug you everyday I'll mostly just be asking you questions whenever I don't understand something completely and you can send me a message occasionally asking me if I'm studying or not. Or, maybe if you're learning C# too and would like to learn together maybe that'd work too. I really want this to be the time that I accomplish my dream and not just the time that I constantly dream about it.
Shane
Advertisement
In order to stay motivated, you need to see results of the work you're doing. Type up some code in your language, and then mess around with it until you fully understand what's going on.

rbwhitaker has a wiki for c#. Since you already have some experience, you should be able to fly through them. I used those tutorials coming from java. If programming games is your goal, then take some time to learn about the different libraries available to you when you're not feeling motivated to program. xna is my first choice, but there are many others options out there.

I don't have Skype because i don't have internet right now, but feel free to pm me if you need help. Helping others is the best way to learn

If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)

I created a video tutorial series that covers the development of a small memory match game:

It's done in Python, but the overall concepts are essentially the same, no matter the language; I prefer Python because it's modern, cross-platform and well supported.

So, you might find that helpful.

As for 1 on 1 help: I offer tutoring services -> http://www.nilunder.com/tutoring

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

You Most likely do need a tutor / Mentor. I often feel the same way myself. When you pair up with someone with the same interest and goals in mind, you can accomplish more.

Pascal ( Delphi ) might be Jurassic, However, If you are comfortable in it, it could be an aide in motivation. I often go / went back to Turbo Pascal to work something out (Not so much now) and then translate it to the language I am currently working in.

I currently working a some games and would be willing to work with someone. Although I have created a couple of 2D games, and 3D models and animations, I am still learning the graphics side of things.

If you would like, feel free to contact me and we could email ideas and segemnts.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

I mean, I'm plenty motivated to keep trying and it is my dream but I usually buy a book, read 400 pages or so and then quit halfway through and never pickup the book again.

What does this mean? Are you just reading the book, or are you actually doing all of the exercises and projects as you move along through those 400 pages?

Because if you're just reading, then you're doing it wrong. You're not going to learn it and you're not going to stay motivated.

Hi Shane, I have some beggining Python knowlede and I started Pygame library. You can do simple games with it. I started C++ as my first language but I saw it hard for a begginer programmer, I switched to Python.

Python is extremly easy to read and write. And in pygame can see that you are making games allmost imidiatly after few tutorials.

I use skype and if you are willing to get deep into Python you can pm to collab, you call yourself noob at programming, I'm the mid-noob in programming.

What kind of games do you hope to make? Learn by trying to make whichever one is the easiest. You'll probably fail, but learn stuff in the process.

But if you've been at it for 15 years, does that mean you hail from the SNES/N64 era? Because that's what I do. I can help with C/C++, but my experience with C# is only of the poking around variety, and I was generally annoyed by lack of low level data fiddling abilities... at least from what I understood of it. I'm happiest when I get to interact with hardware directly, or at least do everything short of dumping the completed framebuffer and audio data to it via SDL.

In order to stay motivated, you need to see results of the work you're doing. Type up some code in your language, and then mess around with it until you fully understand what's going on.

rbwhitaker has a wiki for c#. Since you already have some experience, you should be able to fly through them. I used those tutorials coming from java. If programming games is your goal, then take some time to learn about the different libraries available to you when you're not feeling motivated to program. xna is my first choice, but there are many others options out there.

I don't have Skype because i don't have internet right now, but feel free to pm me if you need help. Helping others is the best way to learn

Well I wouldn't really say I "know" C#. I mean you can show me a simple dos program and I can almost tell you what it means entirely and how it works and how everything is declared but I most definitely don't know everything. I started with the win32 api and read the first 350 pages of Charlez Petzold's "Programming Windows 5th Edition" back in the days of windows xp and I didn't even understand the first page. It was all just typing out the exerpts, I didn't understand what any of the functions meant at all or really what I was typing.

Clearly I didn't know enough C# to get to the windows level.

Yes, I would like to develop video games. But I think programming applications for windows would be the first step first. Maybe a simple calculator program or a word processor. I have to get to the windows level first though. That'd be step two.

I created a video tutorial series that covers the development of a small memory match game:

It's done in Python, but the overall concepts are essentially the same, no matter the language; I prefer Python because it's modern, cross-platform and well supported.

So, you might find that helpful.

As for 1 on 1 help: I offer tutoring services -> http://www.nilunder.com/tutoring

Yeah I didn't understand Python at all and I didn't think it was very easy for me. So I probably would not buy your Python tutoring. If anyone wanted to tutor me in C# though 1 on 1, I would gladly pay for lessons.

You Most likely do need a tutor / Mentor. I often feel the same way myself. When you pair up with someone with the same interest and goals in mind, you can accomplish more.

Pascal ( Delphi ) might be Jurassic, However, If you are comfortable in it, it could be an aide in motivation. I often go / went back to Turbo Pascal to work something out (Not so much now) and then translate it to the language I am currently working in.

I currently working a some games and would be willing to work with someone. Although I have created a couple of 2D games, and 3D models and animations, I am still learning the graphics side of things.

If you would like, feel free to contact me and we could email ideas and segemnts.

I responded to your pm.

I mean, I'm plenty motivated to keep trying and it is my dream but I usually buy a book, read 400 pages or so and then quit halfway through and never pickup the book again.

What does this mean? Are you just reading the book, or are you actually doing all of the exercises and projects as you move along through those 400 pages?

Because if you're just reading, then you're doing it wrong. You're not going to learn it and you're not going to stay motivated.

Yes I'm doing the exercises and the projects at the end of every chapter. I think what it means is, I'm fine up until there's something that I don't understand or something that I can't do and then I get frustrated and then I give up. Like people said, I need a tutor but I don't know to many people or any at all that would offer 1 on 1 tutoring services on my budget. I'm living off of disability at the moment and do not have a fortune to spend. I of course, would spend something but we can't really expect me to pay more than a couple hundred bucks or so.

Shane

You don't need to pay anyone to teach you. Open google and find yoruself a bounch of tutorials and start reading.
Set goals im your mind and chase them, by goal's I dont mean to build that big mmo or something. Be realistic and let the first goal to be a graphical UI game, that is able just to move your character around. Goal 2 should be to build a mini GUI game. Goal 3, a more advanced game, add scores, levelts, etc, improve graphics, etc etc.

Learning programming should be a passion, not a task. Also you can find anyone to collab with you just for the fun. Don't speed your money on such things like paying a mentor, becouse it is unnecessery.

Reroll it to be a passion, and not something you force yourself to learn.

Set goals in your mind and reach them.

Be prepared to read alot.

Be organized.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is there any programmer here willing to donate some of his free time to helping me learn the language and give me the extra kick in the butt that I need over Skype or something? I of course won't waste your entire day or bug you everyday I'll mostly just be asking you questions whenever I don't understand something completely and you can send me a message occasionally asking me if I'm studying or not. Or, maybe if you're learning C# too and would like to learn together maybe that'd work too. I really want this to be the time that I accomplish my dream and not just the time that I constantly dream about it.

You have an entire community right here that can try to explain the concepts you don't understand. I've seen several that are willing. You could share some project you are working on and get feedback, some of which does come with positive feedback/encouragement.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement