• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfgame

Need some help

This topic is 2123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I am new to the community but quite thrilled that I have found this site. I see many topics of interest here and I look forward to taking an active role in the community here. I am currently about one year in to receiving my associates degree in game design. I am hoping that I might be able to find some assistance around this community with something I need to complete for English. You see, I need to interview an individual that works in any capacity as a video game designer. It doesn't have to be anything super official. If anyone in that field around here would be willing to take the time this weekend to respond to about 10 questions it would mean the world to me. These general questions were agreed upon because they could apply to almost any job for our class of about 20 people. Each person is taking those same questions to individuals that apply to their majors also. However, in my immediate area their are not really any game design companies or individuals that I can interview personally, I hate to come to this message board making this type of request as my first post, but if someone around here that is currently employed as a game designer(even indie is fine), would like to assist. I will send over the questions via PM right away, they can be answered in as much or as little detail. Thank you for allowing me to make this post and request here, I look forward to frequenting this site and forums as I work through becoming a game designer myself.

Advertisement

You will have more luck if you post the questions here first, rather than asking people to reach out to you privately just to find out what they're in for.

Posting here might also have the side effect of you getting several public replies, which is probably even more interesting to you.

That's reasonable, I didn't feel as though these questions were the best ones for the project we are doing, if someone wants to tackle them I will post them below. If there are any that you would rather not answer that is fine also. Some of them are a bit intrusive imo. If your comfortable including a first name and where you work that would be great also. Thanks for advising me on how to receive better success on this project, here are the questions.

1.  How much and what types of writing are required in this job?

2.  What is the starting salary for someone new to this type of position?

3.  Benefits: Is health/dental/vision insurance available, paid vacation? Paid sick days? Company Car? 401k?

4.  What personality traits should an applicant have for this job?

5.  What are the typical daily responsibilities for this position?

6.  What further education is required beyond a two-year degree to be more successful in this position? Certification / licensing requirements.

7.  What are the company policies/rules? Such as Disclosure agreements and such.

8.  What type of opportunities for advancement are available?

9.  What would be the weekly # of hours expected? Is overtime offered? Is scheduling flexible, maybe doing some work at home, etc…

10.Is there a dress code? Uniform? How is this provided if so?

Edited by Wolfgame

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!