• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kahroo

Kinda lost on where to start

This topic is 2114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I love how I have this idea for a RPG game I want to make but I don’t know where to start. I don’t know a thing about programming and don’t know which language I want to learn…Well I kinda do…either C++ or C# I don’t know, which should I do? 

Oh and other then that I have no story…kinda stuck with that. And I need some more characters, weapons, magick, and stuff. But that'ds slowly coming along as I think of stuff.

But hey recommend me some good programming books, and any advice would be great.

Advertisement

You could try something like RPG Maker to start with, it's beginner-friendly and will let you get a feel for how games are put together.

For C#, I found this to be a pretty good tutorial, and it covers game programming with XNA/Monogame in another section.

C languages are very hard for complete begginers, You must start with something easier, Python is great and very easy to start with. You will see your results much much faster than C++.

What makes C languages harder? I'm just curious. I was thinking of using C++ with SFML but then I keep hearing C languages are more difficult?

What makes C languages harder? I'm just curious. I was thinking of using C++ with SFML but then I keep hearing C languages are more difficult?

Yeah same I hear C languages are really hard for beginners, and everyone is like "don't learn it don't learn". But isn't it the most popular language to use when making a game?

I'm a beginner learning C# which is the "latest" installment in the C family of programming languages. Unlike C++ the C# language is very "high level" which means you do everything on the highest level without having to go into much detail with memory management and such. In fact C# almost resembles Java.

But, it is still Object Oriented Programming (OOP) so what you learn there can be translated to other object oriented programming languages (C++ included)

but, if you want to learn C++ go ahead but it will take significantly longer to get a grasp of it. which is why people suggest learning python, Java, or C# first because you will see results for your work etc.

I just started learning how to program about a week ago, so I have a long way to go. I did a simple text based choose your own adventure game in C#. I even had it so that you could enter a name for your character and enter a name for your spaceship which the game used from that point on. It was cool and I'm proud of myself.

But, all that I learned was with tutorials on youtube and they don't go too in-depth. So, today I went out to the book store and bought C# for dummies. I haven't started reading it yet but, hopefully it can explain things in more detail.

but, if you want to learn C++ go ahead but it will take significantly longer to get a grasp of it. which is why people suggest learning python, Java, or C# first because you will see results for your work etc.

So when people say this are they saying it believing the person to have 0 programming experience? I've learned the basics for java and C++. I was always assuming when they said that C++ is harder to grasp that they meant game development wise. So between java or C++ it won't matter? I know one of the big things will be garbage collection which is manual in C++ but automatically done in java.

I dont know about Java.

C++ takes vast amount of learning even to build a small text based game. Usualy this is throwing people off of programming.

And don't think that if you take a language to learn, other the ones used for mainstream game development, you will waste time. Actualy, picking a low level language, learning ti well, and then head for C++, will be much faster to get and realize how things works. Rather than going stright for the very advanced C++.

Learning one language is everything, every second one you will learn the syntax pretty much.

Start with Python a scripting language that is very simple, then go with C++ after a year or so. This will make sure you have a scripting knowledge as a backup.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!