• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Yoyanga

What is your dream weapon upgrade system for a game?

This topic is 2107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

It depends. In many combat games any kind of weapon upgrade would be wrong, because standard weapons are the best possible ones and anything else would be less fun (e.g. an hypothetical guided missile upgrade in Space Invaders), or because any improvement is an unfair or excessive advantage over non-upgraded opponents (e.g. an hypothetical ROF or damage boost in a pistol only FPS deathmatch).

If you want advice, why don't you explain what sort of game you want to upgrade weapons in?

I'd like a blended system.  Three types of performance modifiers would work together.

1: Manufacturing Quality:  Combination of skill checks, material values and design quality decide what the "base item" is.

2: Polishing:  Sharpen a sword's blade, smooth a gun's feed ramp, oil some leather gloves, whatever.  Use a blend of skill checks and resources to improve, perhaps temporarily, an existing item.  Can be combined with a deterioration system to introduce maintenance tasks.

3: Addons:  A sight for a rifle, a vibration dampener on a bow, belt loops on your pants, whatever you can add to existing items to either improve performance or add functionality.

It depends. In many combat games any kind of weapon upgrade would be wrong, because standard weapons are the best possible ones and anything else would be less fun (e.g. an hypothetical guided missile upgrade in Space Invaders), or because any improvement is an unfair or excessive advantage over non-upgraded opponents (e.g. an hypothetical ROF or damage boost in a pistol only FPS deathmatch).

If you want advice, why don't you explain what sort of game you want to upgrade weapons in?

Not looking for advice. I'm just asking the question above.

Materia has a lot to do with character customization, too.  In that system, the equipment is a big part of the character's capabilities, like in Diablo or WoW, so filling sockets with the right gem/rune/trinket is about a lot more than the piece of kit--it's central to the character development process.

That always bugged me somewhat.  I don't mind if a piece of gear grants some bonus to capabilities, like goggles that let you see in the dark or hover boots or invisibility capes, but micromanaging materia and leveling them up and swapping them around so that my armor grants me the ability to steal money from enemies feels too meta-gamey and abstract for me.  A more intelligible relationship between action and performance helps me to stay immersed.

I want to see tons of options that do different stuff and have different costs to add/maintain and I want to see a ton of cool combinations of upgrades having special effects.

I want some things to be part of the crafting and some to be changeable addons and such.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!