• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hbbukowski

Most time accurate scripting language for small online games?

This topic is 2133 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let's put the question simplier:

Between: Javascript / Flash(as) / Java / Unity

Which is best for:

- quick pictures/sounds loading and presentation

- accurate stopwatch timing

- overall speed of processing

Thanks again !

You are asking the wrong question.

What you should consider is install-base, features and costs.

Javascript can probably be ignored since it is too inconsistent (especially older IE versions cause huge problems and those users are unlikely to upgrade/change browser, once people move to Win8 this will improve as its default browser is pretty decent), it has the advantage of not requiring any plugins though so if you either don't care about IE6-8 users or are willing to accept the limitations those browsers put on your game it can be a great option.

Unity is by far the easiest option to use as it is a complete game engine, it doesn't have a browser plugin for Linux (you can build downloadable linux games though) but Win and Mac users will be able to play your game just fine. The free version has some graphical limitations (irrelevant for 2D games but for 3D they can be a problem), the pro version costs $1500 per seat, not all users have the plugin installed and some may be unwilling to install it just to play your game.

Java is quite a bit harder to use and for advanced 3D graphics you will have to digitally sign your applet (in order to use native libraries such as LWJGL), it works on pretty much all operating systems (including less popular ones such as BSD and Solaris) but some users don't have it installed and may be unwilling to install it in order to play your game.

And finally we got Flash, it is installed on some 90+% of all desktops allready so most users won't have to install a new plugin, allthough not all users will have the latest version(so if you want to use 3D graphics those users might have to update their plugin), works on Win/Mac/Linux(Allthough adobe no longer updates the linux plugin with new features, just security updates so the latest version there is 11.2, for Win/Mac its 11.8), performance-wise its a bit behind Java and Unity but unless you do very heavy processing it is not relevant. (Older flash versions (8 and older IIRC) are significantly slower though)

Thus my recommendations:

For 2D games, go with Flash or Unity (Unity can be slightly easier to use(depending a bit on the game) but more users have the flash plugin allready installed)

For 3D games go with Unity or Flash. (Unity is a lot easier to use for 3D but you won't get things like dynamic shadows or effects that require render to texture with the free version)

For very advanced 3D games go with Java or Unity pro.

Performance is a non issue unless you are making some extremely advanced games. The Javascript(the slowest option of the ones listed) port of quake2(a fairly old game but still far more advanced than anything you're likely to make at this point) runs flawlessly even on my fairly weak laptop.

Advertisement

I say, just use whatever language you are already familiar with. It's all fast enough.

What kind of game are you trying to make btw.?

Edited by DrZoidberg42

Javascript can probably be ignored since it is too inconsistent

When a library like jQuery or similar is used there will be near to no problems with consistency.

Sure when talking about canvas applications there is no polyfill for IE 6-8 but people who use those old versions of internet explorer

are propably not a target audience for browser games.

Ok thanks again for all the info ! You are great! smile.png

I think I am now hesitating between JavaScript and Flash:

Reasons:

1) The gamers would be college/university students, so with "modern" browsers (chrome/mozilla) but probably unwilling to install plugins.

2) The kind of game I would do are very basic 2D game in which people had to press yes/no as rapidly as they could to whether some objects were present in a room.

3) It would be great if I could use the same programming language to create a functional (meaning not artistic) website that communicates well with PhP and MySQL.

4) As with which language I am already familiar : I made a bricks breaking game on C++ builder, I often program script to arrange data on Matlab and VBA excel, and finally my last project was a 2D game with action script 3 in Flash.

My last concern is that my last game in Flash, although it was basic there were some delays in pictures presentations when loading too many too large pictures in the room, which is what I would like to limit as much as possible. Moreover I found that Flash communicates poorly with php (maybe it is a false impression?).

Altogether, it looks like, for my use, JavaScript might be a better choice than Flash. What do you think?

Reasons:

1) The gamers would be college/university students, so with "modern" browsers (chrome/mozilla) but probably unwilling to install plugins.

2) The kind of game I would do are very basic 2D game in which people had to press yes/no as rapidly as they could to whether some objects were present in a room.

3) It would be great if I could use the same programming language to create a functional (meaning not artistic) website that communicates well with PhP and MySQL.

4) As with which language I am already familiar : I made a bricks breaking game on C++ builder, I often program script to arrange data on Matlab and VBA excel, and finally my last project was a 2D game with action script 3 in Flash.

My last concern is that my last game in Flash, although it was basic there were some delays in pictures presentations when loading too many too large pictures in the room, which is what I would like to limit as much as possible. Moreover I found that Flash communicates poorly with php (maybe it is a false impression?).

Altogether, it looks like, for my use, JavaScript might be a better choice than Flash. What do you think?

The performance issues you had with flash was most likey due to a misuse of Flash, for best performance you should pre-load the images(You can't instantly load stuff over the internet) and blit them, If you have a separate displayobject/sprite/movieclip for each image performance will drop dramatically.

The best way to communicate with PHP from flash is by using the URLLoader/URLRequest classes, it is pretty darn solid, if you need better performance you have to cut out the webserver (Flash also supports normal sockets so you can connect directly to a custom server)

For JS things are a bit harder, you pretty much have to use WebGL to get decent performance on most browsers (chrome is the only one i've tested that handles canvas reasonably well, AFAIK internet explorer and safari does aswell, firefox24 however performs quite a bit worse(for large sprite counts it will fail miserably)

Edited by SimonForsman

Reasons:

The performance issues you had with flash was most likey due to a misuse of Flash, for best performance you should pre-load the images(You can't instantly load stuff over the internet) and blit them, If you have a separate displayobject/sprite/movieclip for each image performance will drop dramatically.

The best way to communicate with PHP from flash is by using the URLLoader/URLRequest classes, it is pretty darn solid, if you need better performance you have to cut out the webserver (Flash also supports normal sockets so you can connect directly to a custom server)

For JS things are a bit harder, you pretty much have to use WebGL to get decent performance on most browsers (chrome is the only one i've tested that handles canvas reasonably well, AFAIK internet explorer and safari does aswell, firefox24 however performs quite a bit worse(for large sprite counts it will fail miserably)

Allright, thx! 

It's probably my poor Flash programming: I used different display objects for each image.

I guess, I'll go back to Flash. Thx again. I think I got all the info I wanted.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!