a small presentation

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 6 months ago

Hi.

I am new to gamedev. Just wanted to say hello, and present myself along with some questions regarding this topic "writing for games".

Have been writing a few game ideas, stories and concepts lately, and is thinking of taking a study in game developing later on. I have few contacts to ask and work with on this matter, thinking a forum would be a good place to start.

For starters, I am 27 years old and have been a gamer since the early 90's. Been enjoying all the games in most topics that has made it to my attention. I love watching movies, taking great inspiration from all the scenes I've seen.

With all that in mind, I now know that developing games is the job I want to aim for.

The reason I wanted to start producing games myself, is that I get so frustrated when I play through so many brilliant games yet experience so many small errors that could easily be fixed. I guess a deadline can be a bitch not just for the developers, but also for the gamers enjoying the final product.

For some questions. I wonder how safe it is to show the entire game concept, and idea on a forum, before the game is in the making? Since someone with more resources can snap the idea and make it their own, before I make it as far as launching it. Not exactly any copyright over my ideas until the product is made. But then again I need to show people that there is some good ideas and not just talk, to get in touch with people that might be willing to team up, to make these games a reality.

Making an entirely new engine would take a lot of time. So if I would have to choose out of some, then Ubisoft and Bethesda has made good progress in their engines. Seeing how smooth climbing animations Ubisoft has in Assassin's Creed. Or their enjoyable fast paced action in late Far Cry 3. And I simply love Bethesda's works on Skyrim and Fallout. Their engine show so much promise. They might still have some tuning to do on the fps and precision of their engine. But the power of their engine is enormous, seeing the big maps and masses of objects in their late games, plus their engine is so easy to modify, many gamers who want to tweak the game to their liking. There is so many great games to be made and enjoyed, and the engines and graphics will only get better. Cant wait :)

I guess thats it. Any reply would be interesting. I will look around gamedev's forums, seems like a lot of great work here, maybe giving some input that might be of help, if wanted.

Where there is will, there is a way.

Advertisement

1. I wonder how safe it is to show the entire game concept, and idea on a forum, before the game is in the making? Since someone with more resources can snap the idea and make it their own, before I make it as far as launching it.

2. Not exactly any copyright over my ideas until the product is made.

3. But then again I need to show people that there is some good ideas and not just talk, to get in touch with people that might be willing to team up, to make these games a reality.

4. Making an entirely new engine would take a lot of time. So if I would have to choose out of some, then Ubisoft and Bethesda has made good progress in their engines.

1. This is a legal question, not a writing question, so belongs in the Business/Law forum instead of here.

Nobody with more resources is likely to steal your idea -- they are not hurting for game ideas, and they don't need the bad karma.

2. Um, what? (I don't understand your point.) Copyright is automatic when you write your idea down.

3. The way most professionals do that is have the other party sign an NDA or Confidentiality Agreement before sharing the confidential information.

4. This is a technical question, not a writing question, so belongs in one of the technical forums (maybe For Beginners), not here.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the reply Tom.

I am sorry for the misplaced questions in the wrong forum. I am new, so I kinda jumped into the unknown. Thanks for the good answers. It will help me a lot on opening up and sharing some interesting game stories with all of you on gamedev.

You're welcome. I guess I'll move this to the Business forum. If you have a Writing question, feel free to post it on the Writing forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement