Questions about game development

Started by
10 comments, last by Senhor 10 years, 6 months ago

Hello for everyone,

I am Arda and I am new to forum. I have some questions about how to make games. I know the C++ basics and a little about C#. I am 16 years old and I go to high school. Here are my questions:

1) How did they make doom or quake or age of empires? ( which language they used and which libraries )

2) What I need to know to develop the game in my dreams?

3) How can I make a total conversion of Half-Life 2? ( I hope you wont reference me to valve's site. Tutorials on there is useless)

4) Where can I find an ameteur group to join to get experience?

5) Is there any book which shows development of a game? ( I couldnt find anything lile that)

6) Which one is better: using an engine, modding a game or creating your own game on your own?

7) Is there anyone who can be my tutor and lead me to my dreams? biggrin.png

Okey I know I want too much thing but I hope there are good guys who can help me.

Advertisement
1) The first Doom and Quake were written in C (as were most AAA games in the mid 90s)

2) Its better if you develop games while awake.

3) Have you made any HL2 mods ? (if not i'd recommend you do so before attempting a TC (a TC is just a mod, except it doesn't use any gamecode or resources from the original game)

4) The classifieds section here on gamedev.net should have a few people looking for help.

5) there are a few game programming books that takes you through the process of building a few simple games. (a single book isn't enough to cover everything you need to build a large game so those books simply doesn't exist).

6) Neither is better, it depends on what your goal is:
If you wish to quickly make a non commercial game similar to an existing game then modding that game is a very good path to take.
If you wish to get a game done and an existing engine meets your needs and has suitable licensing terms then using an existing engine is a good option (If you are making games professionally it can also be the only financially viable option)
If there is no suitably priced/licensed license that meets your needs then you have no choice(For beginners this is rarely the case), If you wish to learn how to solve the low level problems an engine normally handles for you then using an existing engine would be counter-productive.

7) There is probably someone, private tutoring however is normally not something experienced developers tend to offer for free. (it is time consuming and only helps a single individual)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Thanks for answers and lol.

I meant the game which I am dreaming about I will develop it while I am awake :D

Thanks for answers and lol.

I meant the game which I am dreaming about I will develop it while I am awake :D

Its an impossible question to answer since you havn't told us what your dream game is, just start with something small and simple (pong, snake, tetris, etc) and take it from there.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Doom and Quake source code is released under GPL, so you can just go look at it :)

And assuming your dream game is 3D by the mention of those two, using an existing engine is probably a good idea. Programming 3D games from scratch is fun, but difficult. Especially collision detection.

I want to make a 3D FPS co-op game. I just need to know how to do it. I have tried to use source engine but I couldnt find a good tutorial. Tutorials on Valve's site are really basic and when you want to make a real modification on game you need to look into so much unnecessary code to understand how to do what you want.

4) Where can I find an ameteur group to join to get experience?
7) Is there anyone who can be my tutor and lead me to my dreams? :D

I can help you with both, being your tutor and I know how to find an amateur group. However you have to be dedicated. You need a hour each day in which we can talk on Skype.

I have more than one hour but I dont have free time on thursdays and sundays. If you send me your skype name I can add you.

My Skype name is potatohog1

Chances are that me or some of the game development college students I have contact with can help you out.

I have added you smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement