Favourite 2D Puzzle Design

Started by
4 comments, last by emcconnell 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm working on a roguelike and was wondering what are everyone's favourite 2d, tile based, puzzles?

Are there any articles on procedural 2d puzzle generation?

I'm personally trying to develop something extremely simple, but scalable over game difficulty. Like the mathematical knapsack problem.

Advertisement

You probably need to be more specific about what you mean by a 2d puzzle. I mean that is a pretty broad topic.

But what comes to mind when you say "2d puzzle" + knapsack problem in a roguelike is a sokoban-like puzzle, and indeed there is literature on the topic of procedural generation of sokoban puzzles.

See here, for example.

I like sokoban, traffic jam, physics ones with rolling balls and ice, ones where the block can only be rolled the number it's marked with before it crumbles, and ones with switches that need to be turned on or off to configure a track or circuit properly such that tiles can be slid along it (or elictricity/water/steam, etc. can flow through it).

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Yeah I left it open because honestly the only 2d puzzles I can think of are JRPG tropes, i.e. hit switches in an order, pushing boulders, etc.

I'm wondering what else is out there and what other people thought was a great 2d, tile based puzzle

You probably need to be more specific about what you mean by a 2d puzzle. I mean that is a pretty broad topic.

But what comes to mind when you say "2d puzzle" + knapsack problem in a roguelike is a sokoban-like puzzle, and indeed there is literature on the topic of procedural generation of sokoban puzzles.

See here, for example.

Thanks for that article!

I like sokoban, traffic jam, physics ones with rolling balls and ice, ones where the block can only be rolled the number it's marked with before it crumbles, and ones with switches that need to be turned on or off to configure a track or circuit properly such that tiles can be slid along it (or elictricity/water/steam, etc. can flow through it).

I was programming procedural track/circuit puzzles with electricity. Can you identify things you like about that puzzle? Things you dislike? Any improvements that could be made to it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement