How to continue RPG?

Started by
5 comments, last by stein102 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm working on a 2d rpg in Java using LibGdx and it's been coming along fairly well, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Basically what I have is I can move around a tiled map with collision. I have an inventory that has clickable items (Just consumables for now). I have health/mana potions that heal their respective attribute. What should I work on now? I'm not 100% sure with how to continue on this, I'll post my source up with this as well.

EDIT:

Download link for source

Advertisement

A fight system if you haven't got one? And levelling up/xp?

EDIT: I'm guessing, I'm not going to read all your source code...

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

A fight system if you haven't got one? And levelling up/xp?

EDIT: I'm guessing, I'm not going to read all your source code...

I'm going to make some guesses too and say now is the time you should make a storyline and really design the game. Note I said design, not develop. Design is the aspect that comes before develop.

I would add the the rpg some quests and NPCs.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

add an inventory system and bags.

How much from your game is done so far? I am curious what you have realized

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

This is a very good question that plenty of budding game developers hit. We actually recently wrote a teaching document that covers this issue here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WSccZfWbInBAJvjU4to-np0UzXYa9Tllm7WCda612GM/edit

It's a bit long, but your problem is quite complex. Quite simply, you've created a nice little game engine with some features. Which don't get me wrong, is freaking awesome. So many people never get this far at all (Maybe 15-20%?). I commend your efforts.

The problem is you're not really experienced in making an entire game, you've definitely gotta learn this stuff but when professional developers make their games they don't code anything at first. They go through a long pre-production process where they design, playtest, and refine the game. Because every bug you fix BEFORE you have to code, is a whole hell of a lot less work.

I'd suggest you read the thing linked, it addresses the very beginning of a game project and how we went about it for our current little project. Specifically, you probably want to design out and solidify your vision for what you want your game to be, what you want it to accomplish, and let that lead into all the things you have to do to make that happen.

If you got a moment, check out our project on Kickstarter, it's specifically designed with folk like you in mind (We're trying to teach people game development!)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cwssoftware/colony-capture-teaching-games-through-doing

Cheers!

add an inventory system and bags.

How much from your game is done so far? I am curious what you have realized

Well I've taken a bit of a break from the project due to school. But so far:

-I've updated the inventory system. There's all kinds of different types of items now. You can equip equipment, eat food, etc.

-There's equipment(as stated above)

-I have 2 skills(mining and woodcutting, pretty basic but they can be expanded later)

-Quests are about half done(Just need to add in different types of objectives that I can give the quests)

-NPC have been added

-NPCs were given dialogue, dialogue has trees it follows to guide the conversation/Hand out quests

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I'll post more if I remember anything additional.

This is a very good question that plenty of budding game developers hit. We actually recently wrote a teaching document that covers this issue here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WSccZfWbInBAJvjU4to-np0UzXYa9Tllm7WCda612GM/edit

It's a bit long, but your problem is quite complex. Quite simply, you've created a nice little game engine with some features. Which don't get me wrong, is freaking awesome. So many people never get this far at all (Maybe 15-20%?). I commend your efforts.

The problem is you're not really experienced in making an entire game, you've definitely gotta learn this stuff but when professional developers make their games they don't code anything at first. They go through a long pre-production process where they design, playtest, and refine the game. Because every bug you fix BEFORE you have to code, is a whole hell of a lot less work.

I'd suggest you read the thing linked, it addresses the very beginning of a game project and how we went about it for our current little project. Specifically, you probably want to design out and solidify your vision for what you want your game to be, what you want it to accomplish, and let that lead into all the things you have to do to make that happen.

If you got a moment, check out our project on Kickstarter, it's specifically designed with folk like you in mind (We're trying to teach people game development!)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cwssoftware/colony-capture-teaching-games-through-doing

Cheers!

Thank you for your help. I'll give it a read when I get home(I'm just on my way out the door at the moment). Once I'm finished reading it, I'll post in here again and let you know what I think :)

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement