• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zezba9000

Unity Super Cross Platform C# game engine.

This topic is 2112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So iv'e done a lot of research in some of what it might take to pull this off and having myself ported games to almost all self publishing platforms there are, as well as a lot of time spent in D3D9, D3D11, OpenGL, GLES2, C#, Mono, MonoTouch, MonoDroid, XNA ect, Iv'e always wanted to create an Open Source Game Engine written in pure C# and back end peaces in C++ where required.

Iv'e started a project called the ReignSDK located here: https://github.com/reignstudios/ReignSDK

As you can see the way I have the ReignSDK set up I can port it to just about anything.  Basically the ReignSDK would be the back end to the Game Engine.

My question is, does anybody think there is room for a cross platform game engine written in c# that targets basically everything and has a Visual User Interface like Unity3D?

There is Unity3D, but that cost a lot if you want to do post processes effects ect, and doesn't target small indie devs on platforms like the Vita, Xbox 360, WP7 or other emerging platforms C# can run on but Unity will never support, like the GCW-Zero or RaspberryPi.

I would love to have this game engine build to even super low end devices like the FEZ Game-O just for the fun of it.  Of course this would be 2D only game engine feature, but would be cool.  Or course I want it to run on high end devices as well.

Anyway, any thoughts or questions?  Is this idea a waste of time?  Will anybody every use something like this? Would anyone else ever want to get involved in a project like this?

Edited by zezba9000

Advertisement

I don't think that "Super Cross Platform" is the killer feature.

Naturally, I can only speak for myself, but I would much rather have a tool that helps me make better games, with less effort. That would be my core concentration. The "cross platform" part is just a bonus, and even then, there's only a few platforms that I really care about, so it's not really a big problem.

It's definitely possible to compete with Unity, but I think you'll have to do more than simply provide existing features for a lower price; You'll need to make a better development tool.

Build it and they will come. However, Unity has ties with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony to stay one step ahead and will in other words probably have support for the newest game consoles before you. You can't beat Unity, because it would take years, but you can compete with some effort.

I don't think that "Super Cross Platform" is the killer feature.

Naturally, I can only speak for myself, but I would much rather have a tool that helps me make better games, with less effort. That would be my core concentration. The "cross platform" part is just a bonus, and even then, there's only a few platforms that I really care about, so it's not really a big problem.

It's definitely possible to compete with Unity, but I think you'll have to do more than simply provide existing features for a lower price; You'll need to make a better development tool.

I'm kind of a guy that cares more about cross platform abilities will little to no effort.  I notice big problem with Unity in some of these areas.  So little effort is part of the goal.  Also NOTE, this would be Open Source... with some cheap services to get around licencing issues with MonoDroid & MonoTouch ect.  This API also (as I already have done) uses the native rendering API(and Audio API) per platform, like D3D9-11, GL2+, GLES2+, XNA, Vita ect...

You did help with my question as to wether or not people care about all the platforms I can easily support with my design.  Tnx.

Edited by zezba9000

Build it and they will come. However, Unity has ties with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony to stay one step ahead and will in other words probably have support for the newest game consoles before you. You can't beat Unity, because it would take years, but you can compete with some effort.

Totally agree, I don't plan to do this quite yet, just would like input as to what people would think if I were ever too and it was a good tool of course.

I think eventually something can replace Unity, but first the goal would be to make an alternative with advantages.

zezba9000: for information, check out coffee3d.net, while it's maybe not about what you are thinking (the point which makes each game engine unique, and explain why we dev&artists need more tools), but will give you a little clue about future. I've past something like 10 years on it, it's way ahead some frameworks and things, but managing to get people knowing & publicity & things it's THE hard task. Just, thing about this stupid little thing, how would you fill your starter game engine forum ? Using bots ? That would suck (while it could work, I'm just not commercial guy). Those stupid things are just the beginnings, no matter how you worked hard on it. Sure you could go game festivals, suck balls, and so on...

But, I share your vision about "something near Open Source", just that I would like to live of it (meaning full time support), so I target low License prices. As Goran told, multi-platform sure isn't the key feature, but we need to live with it, since the start, as every developers.

Sometime a coworker said: "make rolling a cube using script in 5mn is something rare with a game engine", with Coffee you can do it, and using C++. That's while I believe in it (and RTCC++ people), it's a new way of using things we have. Not multi-platform or plugins shit we see in uber engines.

Hope it helps a bit.. Bla.. bla.. just my 2 cents.

Edited by skarab

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!