• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RobMaddison

Terrain ms budget

This topic is 2116 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For a 60fps game, what have you found to the an acceptable budget for drawing the terrain?

By terrain I mean:

Size: 4096 x 4096

Streamed: no

Shadows: no

High detail texture splatting/terrain layering (with underlying low detail textures): yes

Normals: yes

I know it's a vague question, but in general, how much of the 16.6ms budget is spent on drawing the terrain?

Advertisement
The amount spent on rendering the terrain depends on things like number of polygons. When you say the terrain is 4096x4096, are you talking about the map used to generate the polygons, or just the detail texture used?

The amount spent on rendering the terrain depends on things like number of polygons. When you say the terrain is 4096x4096, are you talking about the map used to generate the polygons, or just the detail texture used?

Sorry, the heightmap is 4096x4096 and I'm using the chunked LOD method with error metrics for distant detail.  Lowest patch size is 32x32

But to answer your question, I'd try to keep it 20-50%. You need some room for characters, special effects, and post-processing.

The budget always varies from game to game. You often always can't lock down your budgets until you've implemented the whole workload and then started to optimize, cut-back and balance them together... Or you often rely on experience from previous (similar) games to set your starting budgets.

Maybe you want 30% for characters, maybe 10%. Maybe 50% for post, maybe 10% :-/

Often I've seen environments and characters combined at ~25% and post at 50%, but on other games that could be flipped.

What kind of game is it, what camera angles/distances, and what else needs to be drawn?

But to answer your question, I'd try to keep it 20-50%. You need some room for characters, special effects, and post-processing.

Thanks

The budget always varies from game to game. You often always can't lock down your budgets until you've implemented the whole workload and then started to optimize, cut-back and balance them together... Or you often rely on experience from previous (similar) games to set your starting budgets.

Maybe you want 30% for characters, maybe 10%. Maybe 50% for post, maybe 10% :-/

Often I've seen environments and characters combined at ~25% and post at 50%, but on other games that could be flipped.

What kind of game is it, what camera angles/distances, and what else needs to be drawn?

It's a snowboarding/skiing game.  I'll need to draw other static objects like instanced trees, huts, jumps, etc, one main character skinned, probably max of 2 or 3 other close characters plus up to a dozen or other lower detail skinned characters.  Draw distance is fairly crucial and needs to be, at times, as far as the eye can see.  I've developed a crude dynamic pvs method which I need to redevelop but works ok for now.

I'm currently rendering at an average of around 2ms up to an absolute maximum of 5ms to draw the entire 4096x4096 terrain with all texturing.  based on the comments that feels like a pretty good start

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!