• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pegasoneinc

Games for high-performance Android devices?

This topic is 2115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are indie Android game developers here who prefer to develop for high-performance devices. Most of the Android devs that I have been in contact with so far seem to prefer to target the lowest common denominator in terms of OS compatibility for their free, ad-based games, obviously to increase revenue in a short time frame.

As I do not develop video games for a living, obtaining a quick stream of revenue from this source is not my first priority. Thus, I try to focus on quality, performance, and gameplay in the video games that I develop.

My first game, developed along these lines and released on Google Play (more platforms to follow), is RööK. It targets Android 4.0.3 and higher. This should include mostly newer devices, with better hardware specifications. According to the Android Dashboard 70% of all Android devices now run Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean.

If there are folks who share this approach please let me know. Thanks.

Advertisement

There are still many poor devices that run ice cream sandwich or jelly bean.I prefer to focus on better devices and that´s what I am doing with my current mobile game.

I prefer to focus on better devices and that´s what I am doing with my current mobile game.

How do you target better devices other than by mimimal OS release version? A custom list of makes and models at Google Play, maybe? Thanks.

I myself am attempting to change to more of this style for my next release, as in the past I have been making sure that it could run on my Samsung Moment. Sadly, this means that in the past I have cut things out in order to make it smaller and faster. My next game will throw that out the window and be focusing on the Galaxy S4 specs, though I do think that it taught me some important lessons that I may have otherwise missed. (For instance, if your game is not running at a fast enough framerate to cause things to actually collide, how can I restructure it to check for things that should have collided so that the item doesn't pass through another).

All of the features I know to filter out devices can be found here.

I guess if you filter by opengl version support that can help.

Otherwise, if people are on hardware that can't handle it, they, like me, probably know. So you could just have a test app, or use an in app purchase for full game to allow people to use it. Let them know what hardware it was made for in the description.

I am targetting mid/high end devices. My game still runs on low-end devices. It just runs very slowly. I thought no-one would like to play my game on old devices, since in my opinion it is too slow. But then again, I see that a-lot of my installed users are using old devices. So I'm a bit confused. At the moment, I am only using OS version to filter out devices.

The problem is, one of the most powerful Android processors to target is the Tegra 3, which isn't very high-performance at all. The iPad 4 is about 2x as fast as the Tegra 3.

Shane, I agree. Tegra 3 performance on the old Nexus 7 was so disappointing; no wonder the switched to S4 Pro / Adreno 320 on the new one. At this moment I would think that Adreno 320 (and, I guess Tegra 4, but I have no experience with it) should be the mininum GPU requirements for a decent game on mobile. This leaves out most current Windows Phone 8 smartphones and Blackberries up to and including Z10; the Z30 comes with Adreno 320 though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!