Beginner trying to develop

Started by
6 comments, last by mike656 10 years, 6 months ago

Ok so I am really hoping someone can help me. I have wasted so much time trying to find a game on the computer that is like a sports manager game for college football that I decided I would try to make one just for me not online just for me. I want the game to be based around the premise of being a head coach and trying to build a program and the constant problem of finding good players to replace the old ones who move on to the pros or just graduate by recruiting. My problem is I have no experience building or designing games. I have time to do this but have no idea where to start. Ive looked at a lot of other games like football mogul or pigskin empire but they either cost to much or are a MMORPG. So can you help me?

Advertisement

I would say...

3/6 months to learn a programming language

2/4 months to learn a game engine's API

at least 3/4 failed games/projects ( see 2/4 months each)

which is about a year and a half, so to create the game you want to play, it seems overkill to even start this project,

unless of course you love programming, then the enjoyment is in the making itself,

that said,

if you wana have a crack at it:

I'd have a look at C, C++ (good for getting to grips with the programming lingo (pointers, registers and stacks and what not)

Then learn C#, Java ( a lovely high level language)

Then look at OpenGL for programming your graphics etc.

Or Buy Gamemaker XX11

I would say...

Game Maker is a bit overrated, and so is doing everything from scratch. You can also try Scirra Construct 2 or Unity.

I had no experience in making games just like yourself and I taught myself how to use the Unity3D engine, if anything I would advise using Unity as it really is a good engine and there is a lot of support via the forums and the scripting reference.

Whatever you decide best of luck to you!

I would say...
Or Buy Gamemaker XX11

Game Maker is a bit overrated, and so is doing everything from scratch. You can also try Scirra Construct 2 or Unity.

I'm somewhat curious why java was thrown into the selected C related languages, not saying anything is wrong with it. Though I thought the two together were intangible in a sense. & as for the gamemaker comment, I personally have no experience with it but somehow feel inclined to agree. Just a feeling about it. Though, I don't understand why doing anything from scratch would be considered to be overrated? Wouldn't that be a better way to grow stronger in the programming field? Time consuming I would imagine is a downside but, just curious what'd be wrong with learning A-Z in a scratch sense?

I'm somewhat curious why java was thrown into the selected C related languages, not saying anything is wrong with it. Though I thought the two together were intangible in a sense. & as for the gamemaker comment, I personally have no experience with it but somehow feel inclined to agree. Just a feeling about it. Though, I don't understand why doing anything from scratch would be considered to be overrated? Wouldn't that be a better way to grow stronger in the programming field? Time consuming I would imagine is a downside but, just curious what'd be wrong with learning A-Z in a scratch sense?

I only say Game Maker and doing things from scratch are overrated because they are recommended a lot. I was offering an alternative.

With that said, pardon the inexperience of my posting ability. This was one of my earlier posts where I wasn't being very helpful.

I only say Game Maker and doing things from scratch are overrated because they are recommended a lot. I was offering an alternative.

With that said, pardon the inexperience of my posting ability. This was one of my earlier posts where I wasn't being very helpful.

No worries, I just thought you had a greater/in depth reason for performing coding on a scratch based level was possibly bad. I'm always curious about learning from other people's points of view. On a side note, of beginning game programming, does anyone have any opinions on DarkBASIC. The only thing I really know of it is that it's purely intended to make games. Fast, & perhaps slightly easier to learn from the ground up than C++, though in no way as powerful or detailed for development.

I like DarkBasic; everything I've seen of it. It is meant for fast development. It's not perfect and you do have limitations. I've only started to delve into using it myself, for fun, in between my serious projects. I can't comment any more than that at this time. Give it a shot. It's a lot quicker than trying to learn C++, that's for sure and for your type of game I don't think you'd be unhappy with the results. Get the bundle with all the add-on packs. It's way worth it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement