How could I start game coding?

Started by
5 comments, last by Petrov_VA 10 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone I'm new to GameDev and coding itself, but for a very long time I wanted to start making simple games and learn the whole process.

I was wondering could someone tell the first few things I need to learn/have in order to start making simple 2D games?

Advertisement

Assuming you don't know any language, and would like to learn. Find a good tutorial/book about programming games for beginners, and follow it from start to end.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Programming tutorials can be helpful.

I have a series that you can try:

Beyond that, it's just a matter of passion, practice, and patience.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

Long answer here.

Shorter black/white answer... go learn Lua. Then learn LOVE. To do it, use ZeroBrane. That is probably the easiest language/library combo available for beginners.

Research is really the key here. It will be hard, but you need to research what language is best for you and how you will go about the dilemma of a game engine. We can answer your question, like I can tell you my personal opinion like going for something easy like Game Maker, Scirra Construct 2, or Unity. But it will tend to be biased.

Learning to code games involves at least 2 seperate lines of learning.

1 - Learning a programming language.

2 - Learning how to teach how to play a game.

After learning the first (hard) you may find that teaching the computer the second is Even Harder!!! No seriously, The second is as easy as telling some one to Roll a Pair od Dice, Move a Number of Spaces, Draw a card and follow instructions.

Last year I wrote a simple word game. That code Finished 20 pages of code, without any involved graphics coding/

So where to start ? Go to the local book store, Like a Barnes and Noble and page through Programming Language Books to see if you van follow along.

Also try the on-line stores as well.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

If you intend to use Visual C++ you may start with

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/opengl/concentration-of-all-the-lessons-in-common-library-glsummary-in-mfc-r3375

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement