• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kastor372

To Square Root or Not To Square Root

This topic is 2106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Kastor here.

I have two algorithms for collison detection. One uses a square root operation, the other is the same operation without it. The problem is the square root operation is only 23 operations, whilst the one without the square root is 43 operations, a whoping 20 more opertations. Bot have phases and can be broken up into parts. Which one should I go for. Should I use the one square root opeation or not?

Thanks a bunch ;)

Advertisement

A profiler is a program that gives you performance information about another program. Some IDEs have profilers built in, some other profilers are stand alone programs. Examples include the profiler that comes with the professional edition of MSVC 2012, or GNU gprof.

Hmm those applications seem to cost money I cant seem to find a free one. Just for a quick insight, If you all had to use one which one of the operations would it be?

Sweet, thanks alot.

I am programming in Java and I am not really tageting any hardware at this moment, just designing a decent engine. What I want to do eventually is have the game running on conoles; primarily the Wii U! Thats the idea.

Explaining both algorithms might be alittle too much to write here, but if you need 'em to decide, ill write them.

I am programming in Java and I am not really tageting any hardware at this moment, just designing a decent engine. What I want to do eventually is have the game running on conoles; primarily the Wii U! Thats the idea.

Or you could just buy the $3000 Wii U dev kit, if Nintendo approves you, and get Unity Pro for free, as it's included.

The Java JDK comes with VisualVM. Additionally, some Java IDEs have built-in profilers such as Eclipse's TPTP and Netbeans' Netbeans Profiler.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!