[Serious] Hardware question: Can you flip your laptop upside-down while running a full antivirus scan?

Started by
7 comments, last by mike656 10 years, 6 months ago

Due to my current environment not suitable for a laptop, I'm considering putting my laptop upside down (with the top lid closed and placed so that the entire laptop is flipped 180 degrees), so it would be easier to fan out the generated heat, and not get dirt and loose dusts blown into it.

As of now, I'm currently outside at night, camping underneath a large leaf roof. There is nothing but ground and grass underneath the roof, and I'm sitting on it with a laptop on my knees. I'm doing a scouting mission, with permission to use a laptop for surveillance and data monitoring. You know, conscription stuff.

Currently, the laptop is doing a full antivirus scan (well, I like to use it to pass time.). And I was wondering if I can flip the laptop upside-down without harming the internal hard drive.

Got any opinions on this matter? I can take my time, since every hour, me and the rest of my squad change place, and we have to survey the area until approx. 68 more hours, as of now.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I recommend against it. Actually, I highly recommend against it, because it can affect the hardware inside. But there is no guarantee that it will die if you try it, so up to you.

You'll be fine, do it.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/204985-32-mounting-hard-disk-upside-down

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you are in-fact "not fine".

jmillerdev.com

Follow me @jmillerdev

I never do antivirus scans, but I frequently put my notebook upside down (gently!) when it's computing something and so far I haven't had any troubles with it.

But please do tell, in what universe is watching a full hdd antivirus scan an entertainment fit for passing the time?

Put SSD in the laptop. problem solved.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

But please do tell, in what universe is watching a full hdd antivirus scan an entertainment fit for passing the time?

Since we switch places every two hours, one of us said running a full scan takes about 2 hours. We went ahead and tried it, and now it's our timer.

Who doesn't like to see the absolute paths to all files scanned from A to Z while you're doing nothing other than waiting?

Since we switch places every two hours, one of us said running a full scan takes about 2 hours. We went ahead and tried it, and now it's our timer.

Who doesn't like to see the absolute paths to all files scanned from A to Z while you're doing nothing other than waiting?

An innovative timer indeed, but wouldn't looking at the system clock be a more effective way of measuring time?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with this. I'm a tech and I've had many times when I had to turn a running computer upside down and dissect the bottom of it to diagnose certain hardware problems, or many other creative ways to solve problems that only presented themselves when laptops were operational. There's also mounts you can purchase if you'd like to use your computer like this on a normal basis. I'd like to eventually mount one of my laptops on the ceiling of my RV over the bed. It would make a cozy way to surf the net without having to sit up or have a computer on your lap. ;)

Actually there is something wrong with this approach, since the main objective is to prevent dirt from entering the case. This suggests that the fan openings are on the bottom of this laptop.

Dirt, or leaves from a leaf roof, like most objects on the planet, fall downwards. Which means if you have your laptop on your knees with the fan opening pointing upwards, you'll collect more dirt.

That, and the fact that if you use the antivirus scan as timer, the display must obviously be turned on (i.e. the "what happens when I close the lid" setting is "nothing"). Having a 12'' lantern directed towards the sky on a scouting mission is maybe not precisely what one would want to do either. You know, as in covertness. What would an enemy aim at, given the choices "dark night" and "illuminated laptop screen".

Maybe you want to use a program that flashes the screen and plays loud sounds all the time, too.

I've seen more dirt and dust get in a machine that was upright than upside down. It honestly doesn't matter because it's going to collect dust and dirt anyway. If you want to avoid dust and dirt from getting in vents that's a whole different topic really. You can remedy this by using filters or making your own that go over the vent areas (or install them inside). I personally wouldn't bother. As long as you maintain your machine like you are supposed to by cleaning it out with compressed air or a vacuum you are fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement