• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
codetoeternity

game development using directx/cryengine

This topic is 2106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello dear people. i plan to develop a game. replicating jetpack joyride. i wanna use c++ as primary language. i think i have two options. 1 is directx and other is cryengine (correct me if there are other c++ options) . at current i dont have knowledge of either directx or cryengine. so first i'll be learning whichever i'll choose. i wanna know, which one is better choice for a career in game programming? i also wanna have an idea if i will be able to complete the learning and development in 7months (with full attention).
thanks.

Advertisement
DirectX is a graphics API, Cryengine is a full game engine. If you use DirectX, you will probably still need a game engine.

You will need reasonable math knowledge, but you can start out with none.

And, um, a game engine of some kind is recommended. Assuming you are making a game and all.

The real question is, why Cryengine? I doubt it's indie-friendly if you want to sell your game, the licensing could cost a lot. You might be better off with something like Unity (http://unity3d.com/) though you will probably want to use C#.

thanks for ur support :) last thing i wanna know is the time required to learn and develop. :) i mean just a rough idea.

7 months is cutting it close. Give yourself a year and see what you can do?

actually i wanna work with c++. i dont like c#. and about an year well i have to develop it as a final year project so i cant move the limits :D

Edited by codetoeternity

actually i wanna work with c++. i dont like c#.

I assume because the performance isn't quite as good?

ummm yea that can be one reason, but i am more comfortable with the control i have in c++, also that i believe its better to improve skills. but ofcourse ur suggestions will be given a higher priority :p

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!