game development using directx/cryengine

Started by
10 comments, last by TomKQT 10 years, 6 months ago

hello dear people. i plan to develop a game. replicating jetpack joyride. i wanna use c++ as primary language. i think i have two options. 1 is directx and other is cryengine (correct me if there are other c++ options) . at current i dont have knowledge of either directx or cryengine. so first i'll be learning whichever i'll choose. i wanna know, which one is better choice for a career in game programming? i also wanna have an idea if i will be able to complete the learning and development in 7months (with full attention).
thanks.

Advertisement
DirectX is a graphics API, Cryengine is a full game engine. If you use DirectX, you will probably still need a game engine.

i would also like no know the knowledge of mathematics required in each of these. and can games not be developed just using directx without any engine?

You will need reasonable math knowledge, but you can start out with none.

And, um, a game engine of some kind is recommended. Assuming you are making a game and all.
The real question is, why Cryengine? I doubt it's indie-friendly if you want to sell your game, the licensing could cost a lot. You might be better off with something like Unity (http://unity3d.com/) though you will probably want to use C#.

thanks for ur support :) last thing i wanna know is the time required to learn and develop. :) i mean just a rough idea.

thanks for ur support :) last thing i wanna know is the time required to learn and develop. :) i mean just a rough idea.

7 months is cutting it close. Give yourself a year and see what you can do?

actually i wanna work with c++. i dont like c#. and about an year well i have to develop it as a final year project so i cant move the limits :D

actually i wanna work with c++. i dont like c#.

I assume because the performance isn't quite as good?

ummm yea that can be one reason, but i am more comfortable with the control i have in c++, also that i believe its better to improve skills. but ofcourse ur suggestions will be given a higher priority :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement